From:
Lance Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 14:17:38 EST

Hello, again.

I really only got one official reference to this problem.  It was
interesting, though I could only get the abstract.  Evidentally, I am using
the wrong term when I say wheat allergy.  Most people told me this is rare
and involves instantaneous response, just like what we commonly think of as
allergies.  I guess where I've heard wheat allergy used different is in the
discussion of leaky gut syndrome.  Here the problem is not Celiac's, but a
leaky gut, which allows food into the bloodstream, causing a kind of allergy.
This was my real question.  How to tell the difference between these two.

From what I could tell from this abstract I saw, this researcher categorized
gluten intolerance -- and to me it made a lot more sense.  You have Celiac's
disease if there is damage to the intestine, thus this requires a biopsy.
Then there is gluten sensitivity.  This includes those with Celiac's, but
also includes those who are sensitive but without damage to the bowel (yet).
This is diagnosed by blood tests.  Thus those of you who are GF are probably
not Celiac anymore, but gluten sensitive.  To me this makes biopsy somewhat
irrevelant, because if I know I am gluten senstive, what does it matter if I
have damage or not?  I still stop eating gluten.  Also this would classify
those who have latent Celiac's.

lance