From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:57:14 -0500

Okay, apparently one of my three postings didn't make it through because it
was too long.  So let's try it again.

The one-pan brownies are a sure winner. Who doesn't like brownies?
These were posted earlier by Valerie ... they work. They are really good
with the marshmallows AND nuts. You can use any flour, or ground
almond flour. I use sorghum, and usually omit the applesauce (sometimes
I use kefir instead, or any vegie like pureed pumpkin or stewed plums).

(1) Melt 1 stick butter & 2 squares unsweetened chocolate in 8" square glass=

pan.

(2) Add: 1 cup sugar
        1 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder (optional)
        2 eggs
        1/4 cup GF flour
        2 TBS applesauce
        1/4 teas xanthan gum (optional)
        1 teaspoon vanilla.
Stir until smooth.  For rocky road brownies stir in 2/3 cup marshmallows
and/or 2/3 cup coarsely chopped nuts.

(3) Bake 28-30 minutes at 325 degrees F.

The GF flour mix I use is 1/2 rice flour 1/2 cornstarch.  I use unsweetened
Baker's or Hershey's chocolate and Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder.
*********************
FLOURLESS PEANUT BUTTER AND CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

1 cup super chunky peanut butter
1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips (about 6
ounces)

Preheat oven to 350.

Mix first 5 ingredients in medium bowl.  Mix in chocolate chips.  Using
moistened hands, form generous 1 tablespoon dough for each cookie into ball.=

 Arrange on 2 ungreased baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart.  Bake cookies=

until puffed, golden on bottom, and still soft to touch in center, about 12
minutes.  Cool on sheets 5 minutes.  Transfer to racks; cool completely.
Makes about 24 cookies.
****************
 I have made these for my two year a number of times, and my father (a non
celiac) has eaten them and not realized they were GF.  They are really good
right after they come out of the oven.  Next day - not so much unless they
are frozen. I made these into cupcakes, but you can make a cake too.

Yellow Cake - Out of the "Gluten Free Kitchen" Cookbook This is an
all-purpouse, traditionally textured yellow cake.  It is just the kind of
cake to expect at a children's birthday party.

Ingredients:
1 1/3 Cups Cornstarch
1 1/3 Cups Potato Starch
1 Tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 teaspoons guar gum (Local healthfood store should have this)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring
2 cups milk, divided

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In large bowl, combine all ingredients except
1 cup of milk.  Mix well to remove all lumps from batter.  Slowly add
remaining 1 cup milk.  Mix well.

Pour batter into two greased 8 or 9 inch round pans or into greased 9 x 13
rectangular pan.  ( I used cupcake holders)  Bake 25 minutes or until
toothpick inserted in middle of cake tests clean.  (I think the cupcakes
took a little less)

Makes 1 large cake. serves 15

Buttercream Icing (Also out of the "Gluten Free Kitchen" Cookbook

Ingredients:
3/4 cup butter softened
3 3/4 cups powdered sugar (1 pound)
2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring
up to 1/4 cup milk or cream

directions:
In medium bowl, cream butter and sugar until well blended.
Add vanilla flavoring.  Slowly add enough milk to bring icing to spreading
consistancy.  Continue beating icing for at least 3-5 minutes.  Apply to
fully cooled cake.

Hope they like it...I know my whole family does and only one of them has CD!=

*********************
Carol Fenster's "Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus" cookbook has a pizza
recipe that is easy and delicious.  My kids help me make it all the time
and they and their friends love it!  We bake the crust it for 10 minutes
and then put a little cheese on it and let it melt before putting the
sauce and toppings on.  This keeps the crust from getting "soggy", and
then we only bake it for 15 minutes and let cool for 5-10 minutes before
eating.
*******************
One of our parents had a sushi rolling demonstration, and it was a HUGE hit
at my daughter's school.  This will really only work if you have eitiher
rolled sushi yourself, or are willing to learn.  I just learned it myself,
and it would only take a few hours in your kitchen to get it down.

You have to take the seaweed and prepared rice (with flavorings), and then
the "stuffing" (e.g. cucumbers, smoked salmon, carrots).  Then the kids plop=

the rice on the seaweed, flatten it out, add the stuffing and roll it up
(and eat it!).  One parent worked with 6-8 kids who were in K, 1 or 2.
Every single kid loved the sushi (that was my observation anyway).

On that same day I made GF cornbread with the kids, and the kids ate it out
of the oven.  That worked pretty well, although there were so many more
ingredients (than the sushi) and everyone wanted to crack an egg!  So it was=

a bit harder to manage.
*******************
Have I got a recipe for you!  These are very easy, too.  My 16 y.o. son who
has celiac... and the rest of our family... just LOVE these muffins!!!   I
hope you enjoy them!  I recommend you make them, even if not for the class.

Pumpkin Chip Muffins

2  eggs
1  cup sugar
1  cup canned pumpkin
3/4  cup oil
1-1/2  cup Bette Hagman Four Flour Blend  **
3/4  tsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp.  baking soda
1 tsp.  baking powder
1/2  tsp. salt
1/2  tsp. cinnamon
1  cup chocolate chips  (I may have added a few more chips ~  MMM - MMM!)

Whisk flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon
together. Beat eggs, oil, pumpkin and sugar until smooth. Add dry
ingredients to wet ingredients just until incorporated.  Fold in chocolate
chips. Pour into 12 greased muffin tins.  Bake at 400 degrees for 16-20
minutes or until a toothpick tests clean.  Let stand in tins for 10 minutes,=

then turn out to cool completely.

** Four Flour Blend  =3D
                   I.E. 9 cups:
     Garfava bean flour (Authentic Foods, is chickpea)  - 2/3 part
  2 cups
     Sorghum flour - 1/3 part
                    1 cup
     Cornstarch - 1 part