From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2011 13:40:28 -0400

With permission from Joseph Jacobowitz, I am sharing the recipe he sent me from Mrs. Katz.

I use Bette Hagman's pasta recipe and fill mine with sauteed ground beef and onions (spiced with ground black pepper), and boil in salted water. Then I add mine to chicken soup, in the bowls, as I serve them. I don't cook them in the soup.  I don't use a dumpling shaper.  I merely roll out the dough in a sort of squarish shape and cut lines (like tic-tac-toe) to make square pieces. Then I either run a dab of water or egg as glue along two edges, put stuffing int he middle, and fold it diagonally into a triangle.  Then I use a fork to press the sides together.

The recipe Mr. Jacobowitz is sharing is a dairy recipe, which is not intended to be added to chicken soup, and I have yet to try it, but it sounds delicious...as a desser (?) .  I copied and pasted from his attachment.

Let me know if I have to spell out the fractions. Sometimes, it comes out as gibberish.    I have bought Mrs. Katz challah rolls, which I like, but not her breadcrumbs or white bread, but I'm sure any crumbs will work, unless they're flavored.

Lin

Mrs. Katz

Kreplach (dumplings) Recipe

Dough Ingredients

Dry Ingredients
¾ Cup White Rice Flour
¾ Cup Tapioca Starch
½ Cup Sorghum Flour
½ tsp Salt
½ tsp Xanthan Gum
Combine in Bag or Mixing bowl
Wet Ingredients
3 Eggs
1 tsp Oil
1 Tbs water

Lightly beat wet ingredients, then add dry Ingredients. Knead by hand until soft dough is formed.

Cheese Filling Ingredients

½ Lb Farmer Cheese
3 Tbs Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Sugar
1 Egg

Roll out dough very thin, and cut into 3” Squares (or use a Dumpling Mold Shaper for a different shape). Place tsp of filling in center and fold into triangle shape.

Place into pot of boiling water let boil for approx. 20 Min.

Serving Suggestion

Brown Katz Gluten Free bread crumbs with sugar, butter or oil in frying pan. Coat Dumplings (Keplech) with crumbs, and serve warm (if out of Katz bread crumbs you can make crumbs with any Katz gluten free bread, white bread is best).