From:
Carla Logan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carla Logan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jan 2004 11:43:54 -0600

Thank you to all of you who wrote me with such great information!  I am feeling much better about the trip now that I have heard from you.  The overwhelming consensus seems to be that Disney is the easiest place to eat Gluten Free for our kiddos!  Many told me to contact the executive chefs for each hotel/park at least a week ahead of time and speak with them about our diet restrictions.  Most seemed to feel the chefs were very knowledgeable about a gluten free diet and would be very helpful in finding things for us to eat at each restaurant.

I got many replies that felt the Turkey legs, French fries, popcorn, and hotdogs/hamburgers with no buns would be gluten free at the fast food locations in the park.  Some mentioned talking to the manager to make sure first but McDonalds has several locations where their fries are cooked separately.  Some of the ice cream pavilions have GF ice cream in the back, so just ask for it.  Tony's was mentioned in the Magic Kingdom as having GF pizza, and I heard Liberty Tree Tavern many times as a good place to eat there as well with GF rolls and brownies.  Some felt Epcot was the easiest place to eat because of the variations of food in each country; others thought there was a language barrier that worried them about trusting who they were talking to in the restaurants.  I was also told that each fast food place has a book at their counter which contains the list of ingredients in everything they serve.  Finally, many said the chefs were happy to fix food items for them from the back of the kitchen when eating at a buffet style restaurant to lessen the risk of contamination.

Many mentioned the character breakfasts are a must and are very easy to eat GF at if you contact the chef ahead of time so they can have GF pancakes and waffles on hand.  Boma at Animal Kingdom was also a favorite.

I was also given advice to look in the archives regarding this subject and to look at delphiforums archives as well.

I was given the phone # 407-WDW-DINE many times to call and set up reservations at locations and to let them know about our need to eat gluten free.

I will make sure to write back our experiences when we return home.  Again, thank you for all of your help and recommendations.  Carla Logan