From:
Jennifer Spicer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 14:58:15 GMT

     Hi,

     my name is John Spicer and I've subscribed to the list on behalf of my
     wife, as I have net access at work, but not at home.  I collate and
     print out the posts for her.  Of course I read them as well and find
     them both interesting and useful, as I learn what being Coeliac means,
     making me better able to support her.

     Jennifer has recently been diagnosed by biopsy as having CD, almost
     accidentally as the symptoms were not strongly suggestive of CD.  She
     had been unwell on and off for a couple of years, not desperately
     unwell, more inconvenienced, but sufficiently so to ask for a barium
     meal to check for hiatus hernia, ulcer, etc. From this followed the
     gastroscopy and the biopsy which confirmed the unexpected.

     She has considerable medical training, working in Haematology and
     Transfusion for the local General Hospital, but at first could not
     accept the diagnosis, or the diet, until she'd seen the biopsy
     herself.  Now she's accepted the truth and is going for a 100% Gluten
     Free diet.  She's feeling better already.

     I have a couple of questions:

     a)  Jenny was never "very sick", as some people are, when eating
     Gluten. What will happen when she's 100% GF, will she become more
     sensitive and become "very sick" if she has an "accident"?  How much
     Gluten is likely to constitute an "accident"?

     b)  I'm confused about vinegar; she's convinced all types are OK,
     including malt vinegar, but I've never seen vinegar on any of the safe
     lists, except wine vinegar, and I'm sure I've seen on this list that
     malt vinegar is a no-no.  Please could someone help.

     Thanks in advance

     John Spicer