From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 1995 14:57:38 -0400

>Julie Thomas <[log in to unmask]>

>o While I definitely feel physically better, I won't discount the
>  psychological effect. Perhaps it's a placebo, maybe it's just so
>  uplifting to feel good, to not be afraid to get away from a bathroom,
>  to be able to stay awake for a meeting, to not be faced with the
>  choice of whether to eat dessert or not. . .

What hit me about this message was the being able to stay awake for a meeting...
For years the big thing in a meeting was "to watch Karen and see how fast
she falls asleep".  I used to try doodling, making lists, anything to stay
awake.  It got to the point where I would sit with my arms crossed and pinch
myself on the inside of my arms or bite on the inside of my cheeks, ie no
pain no gain, to keep myself awake.  I went to numerous doctors to see why
since I could have 10 hrs sleep the night before or 5 hrs sleep, the meeting
could be first thing in the morning or last thing in the day, basically any
meeting.  One doctor even suggested I take wake-up pills 1/2 hr before a
meeting to stay awake, I figured the self-inflicted pain would be better
than taking pep-pills.  Anyway, now that I've been GF for 1 yr I find that I
am able to stay awake in meetings better, (lack of sleep and lack of
interest now play a part).  I also find that when I sit down later in the
evening to watch a TV show I don't fall asleep during the first set of
commercials.

Just a tidbit of info on my road to recovery.

BTW, I inadvertantly did a gluten challenge on the weekend. Slap my fingers,
since I sometimes forget to check all products and bought some candied papaya.
None of the kids liked it so I ate some on Saturday, well by evening I had
"sour-egg burps" and in the morning I felt like I had eaten a box of ex-lax.
I couldn't figure out what made this happen as I figured my son (celiac) and
I ate the same things and he reacts quickly.  Sunday evening I opened the
cupboard and saw the papaya and thought AHA.  Well I decided to be sure and
ate two more pieces and within a couple of hours the sour-egg burps were
back.  I now know that I do react fairly severely now that my gut is healed
(or healing).  No more gluten challenges for me, I WILL be reading all labels.

Sorry Michael, I inadvertantly sent this to only you when I wanted to send
to the list.  Hope you don't mind a second copy too much.
Karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada