From:
Kevin Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 11:41:24 +0000

I am a private practice dietitian.  My advice to you is to stay away
from the "brand name" centers.  The reason is that few, if any, of the
commercial programs have a dietitian available to work with you.
(Some centers may have a dietitian at the corporate office who
provides some guidance for the program content and so on).  The people
you come in contact with at these centers are usually not health
professionals.  It is difficult enough to find a dietitian or other
health professional who is knowledgeable in CD. I most certainly
wouldn't want to work with someone who is basically no more than a
sales person.  A lay person simply does not have the educational
background in nutrition as does a dietitian.  Now, working with
someone who is not a health professional, but does have CD, would
definitley be a plus.  I can tell you that I am no expert in CD and I
have learned from my clients.  Many times they rely on me for my
scientific background in nutrition.  When the client and I put our
heads together, we can sometimes find alternatives.

Kevin Kelly, Licensed Registered Dietitian