From:
Diane Bryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 13:00:40 EDT

Many thanks to the 20+ responders to our posting of 8/19 from the cook/non-
celiac/husband spouse side of our partnership re: recent trip to Maui and
condo living and cooking.  Responses all the way from the UK and from South
Australia -- what a kick!

To all those who threw kudos at me for my "wonderful attitude" (based on one
short posting) -- thank you very much.  Our marriage hit the 25-year mark last
December and the Celiac-thing has only been for the last five, so I have a
long way to go to actually deserve your kind words.

Here's a sample of the Top Approximately Ten List of responses (in no
particular order):

An ad for Memory Lane Confectionery (perhaps needless to say, this is a South
Australia company) which is at www.confectionery.on.net and which has gluten-
free liquorice (which in Bakersfield is called "lick-wrish").  Check em out!

In the UK (don't look it up -- that's England) some families travel in
"caravans" (which are "campers" in the US) to as far away as Poland which are
equipped with ovens as well as "hob and grill" (I have no clue what that is)
so that they manage edible meals under the most unlikely circumstances.

There are really good benefits to eating GF even if you are not "required" to
do so -- slim and trim at 68 instead of young and heavy because of high carbo
intake.

The main offender at luaus is the soy sauce used in many of the dishes.

There is a good solid ground for the non-Celiac spouse between the Land of
Strict Avoidance and the Land of Over Indulgence.  Don't flaunt your dietary
permissiveness in front of someone whose feelings (and symptoms) are easily
hurt (and hard to imagine).

The "sweet smell of poison" coming from the bakery -- I love that way of
putting it!

A spouse who needs to contacted at "@hotmail.com".

Serious dating of Celiacs (DOC's?) is, as we used to call it, a real bummer.
It feels like love, but do I want to spend a lifetime coping and hoping it
will go away?

Three people wanted the address for the $60/night condo on Maui: it's

Some great recipes (including "least bad" bread, which I encourage David in
Bristol to post himself).

Played a few rounds of very fun acronyms with people who are Raising Our
Celiac Kids (ROCK) but are not Feeding Our Celiac Kids. lol.  ;)

The main message for you fellow non-Celiacs out there (direct from Elvis,
wherever he may be) is: If you can't be supportive, at least Don't Be Cruel.

Carl Bryan
Bakersfield, CA