From:
Margie RN <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margie RN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Feb 2007 09:21:59 -0500

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to post this summary, but WOW!  What
a response!!
And, such a variety of responses!
Thank you for all your input!   Any further insight is also greatly
appreciated!

In case you forgot the original question, it was:
My in-laws want to take the whole family on a cruise to the Caribbean
in April '08.  They have not chosen a cruise line yet, so I was
hoping I could get some feedback/info for which one might accommodate
our GF needs best.  We have 2 GF teens, so they have to have kid-
friendly meals.  (Although DD16 will eat just about anything that's
GF, but DS13 is VERY picky!)

Anyone with any suggestions?  We've never been on a cruise before, so
some guidance would be great too!

Wow, I was surfing around last week and came across something that
might be exactly what you need.

www.celiacfreedomcruise.com

It's run by and for celiacs and it's in April '08. I'm really tempted
to go on it myself. And when I told another gluten
intolerant friend, she said she wanted to go too.

All I know is what's on the website, they even have message boards
set up so you can ask questions about it.

I have heard Carnival is pretty good, but I've never gone on one. I
went with Norwegian Cruise Lines over Christmas and it was one of the
worst experiences I've ever had. I would not suggest NCL. They
guaranteed me that they could accommodate and when I got there starving
after a long day of flying, no one knew anything about it. It wasn't
until two days of being on the cruise and munching on gf snacks that I
finally found someone who had a clue about gluten-free food. One of
the chefs who claimed to know about Celiac suggested a wheat pasta...
It was TERRIBLE. I am still feeling sick... Just thought I would
give you and everyone else interested the heads up. Jessi

My family and I (I'm the celiac) Just came back from a Disney
Cruise. They treated us royally. Every meal we have the same head
waiter, waiter and servers. They all know at the time of your
booking your dietary requirements. They had great food for
everyone. There was always a special menu for me. My own gluten
free rolls, specially prepared foods etc. Our youngest was 16 and
the oldest was 65 years old. The boat has areas that are adult only.
And teens have a sort of club house. Every age group is served. We
have been on 2 other cruises (royal Caribbean and Carnival) neither
one gave us this kind of treatment. If you also go to Disney world
on your trip, when you go to any restaurant and tell them you have
dietary restrictions and will meet the chef, not some guy who cooks,
we're talking the guy in charge, and he takes care of your every need.

My daughters and I were just on a Carnival cruise in November - we
just had to let them know that my meals had to be gluten free - I
spoke with them each day to order the next nights meal.  They were
very accommodating and even made sure that I had gluten free bread at
the dinner table each night.  My waiter(s) were also extremely
knowledgeable - they were always able to tell me if I could or could
not have something.  I have heard of many different cruise lines that
are well aware of the gluten free issues.  I am sure no matter which
line you choice, if you let them know in advance - they will be ready
for your arrival.

We went on Royal Caribbean and had a wonderful gluten free
experience. They told me that they have celiacs every week.

So, before we went I sent an email to their gluten free email address
(on their website) telling them our names and ship name and departure
date. When we boarded I went to the dining room and met with the head
waiter. Then, we were set. Every evening, the waiters would go over
the next day’s menus and we would put in the orders for the next
day. They baked fresh muffins and breads every day. And, on our
cruise, our children were the only 2 celiacs on board a ship of over
3,500
people. But, it was so easy. They had French toast and eggs every
morning for breakfast. we brought aboard snacks for them, but, didn't
need much.

Margie R
In South Central PA...on the Mason Dixon Line

*******
*******