Date:
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 15:22:00 -0500

>>That's half the battle right now, all the unknowns and
>
>Oh really? So celiacs from all organizations can now go safely to
>healthfood (and other stores) and buy products that say "gluten-free" on
>them, and they don't have to worry? I am referring the the gluten-free
>label here which is now widely used, and to the movement to standardize
>what this label means.

I did not refer to the "gluten-free" label in any way shape or form nor
did I proclaim in my post that celiacs can go safely and buy something
and not worry.

I was responding to your belief that there will never be any
progress made re: food labelling laws until all celiacs unite,
hug, vote and agree on what's good and what's bad.

My disagreement was that while you may be right, and it is
a lofty goal, the "band aid", if you will, is that until we
once-and-for-all bless/curse quinoa + friends   ... that in the
INTERIM we push  for u.s. food manufacturers to more clearly
identify what is used in making their products. To me,
citing "vinegar" on an ingredients list is simply unacceptable.
To me, citing "spices and natural flavorings" is also
unacceptable.  And this isn't just a celiac issue. This is a
global food allergy issue. I have a friend that goes into
anaphylatic shock if she ingests anything from the onion
family. She, too, is stuck by the phone, calling companies,
trying to extract from them if there is any eau de onion
in their product and she, too, gets the same run around and
the same "we buy from different suppliers due to market
condidtions"  party line ...

If my stance is still unclear to you, please do not hesitate
to write.

Tracey in Connecticut   GF lodging:  http://www.innseekers.com/feature.htm