From:
Jane Warner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 May 1996 23:05:47 MST

I've been lurking on this list for some time, and now I would like to respond
to Karen's post.

Karen, there's always hope.  Everyone is different, is set off in different
ways by different things.  Have you considered the possibility that you are
reacting (diarrhea) to other foods besides gluten?  I react to gluten, dairy,
and nightshades (tomato, potato, peppers, tobacco, etc.), among other things.
This past weekend I proved to myself the role diet plays in my well-being when
I went off my diet in a *big* way.  I got diarrhea, upset feelings, and other
symptoms in a *big* way.  Went back on my diet and things are starting to get
straightened out again.  I also tried the epson salts soaks and I think they
helped too.

Don't let "friends" bring you down with comments about "What can you eat?"  I
got a real hoot out of that when I realized that not one of my acquaintances
who "can eat anything" actually does.  Most people have very (self) restricted
diets.  It's the Same Old Stuff every day.  I don't have a strict rotation diet,
but I do rotate enough so it's not SOS every day.

Best wishes to you Karen, and to everyone else who is newly diagnosed with
celiac/sprue.  And to all you old-timers at it, too.

Jane Warner