From:
Stacey Wolin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 16:00:12 EST

Overall, Aruba restaurants very accomodating. My daughter experienced a
completely gluten free vacation. There are two excellent grocery stores
which stock
many American brands such as Kraft, Frito Lay, Hebrew National, Breyers.
Fresh meats and produce were very high quality.  I packed a cooler for the
travel
days, and stayed in a time share with a fridge.  As far as eating out, I
asked to speak with the chef whenever possible. A restaurant card was greatly
appreciated, and if the chef looked puzzled by the mention of gluten, I
explained
that the situation was similar to a severe allergy to wheat and other grains
before going over how my daughter's food needed to be prepared:

El Gaucho- Wilhelminastraat 80, Oranjestad, Aruba, 582-7205. Arengine Grill
very close to cruise ships. The steaks are all doused with a soy based
marinade
while grilling, so I asked that hers be wrapped in foil.  The fries are made
in dedicated oil, but are commericial fries and gluten may have been present.
The waiter offered to have fresh potatoes fried in separate oil.

Ventanas Del Mar- Tierra del Sol golf course, so furtherest away from most
ships, hotels. Also quite expensive, but by far, worth the visit. A beautiful
veranda overlooking the Caribbean, live music and a chef very knowledgeable
about gf cooking.  "Oh, gluten...it's in everything!" He prepared a steak,
potatoes and a salad with oil and lime juice, all wonderfully presented. Very
memorable.

Chez Mathilde- Havenstraat 23, 583-5000.Restaurant Francais, very slow pace
dining.Chef very willing to accomodate.  My daughter wanted ribs off of the
childrens menu, so he prepared them plain and they were tender and
delicious. He
substituted mashed potatoes for the unsafe fries.

Flying Fishbone- Seaside restaurant, dine with shoes off and feet in the
sand. She had smoked salmon over a bed of lettuce and celery in a simple,
delicious dressing.  I had brought with gf breadsticks and reqested her own
dish of
plain, unseasoned butter.

Madame Jeannette- I don't have location but it's very well known.  A lovely
garden setting in the middle of no where.  Chef prepared a huge portion of
fresh salmon and plain steamed rice.

ps- Bring plenty of insect repellent.  Most restaurants are outdoors, and
mosquitos and gnats are out in full force.