From:
Sylvia Smolorz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 11:13:51 -0500

I'd like to throw in my comments on how terrible gluten free living is:

To me personally, avoiding baked goods is no problem. I don't even
substitute most of the time, I just eat something else which is naturally
wheat free. I eat a piece of bread only once every six weeks on average.
And it's not that I'm sheltered from this wheat-adoring society. I am a
graduate student, and whenever the university wants to be nice to us, they
give us pizza. At seminars there are donuts. I can't eat it and I don't
care. To be honest, it looks pretty gross to me, and I can smell the grease
on the donuts from across the room. So no problem there, but this might be
different for children.

What _is_ awful about the diet are the hidden glutens. Actually, it is not
the diet that is awful, but the way food is treated in this society. I get
very upset when I discover that someone has dumped wheat into food that
should be safe if it was done right. What kind of country is this that we
have to worry about wheat in ham??? And even if I eat Mexican food, I have
a hard time finding something that isn't made with a flour tortilla. Same
thing with amaretti, which are cookies that should be made just with egg
whites, sugar and the marrow from apricot kernels. Here they put flour in
them. Yuck! Not only is it poison to us, it is an abhorrence to adulterate
food, just to make it cheaper. So yes, this is awful.

Sylvia in Ithaca, NY.