From:
Kathleen Curet <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kathleen Curet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:11:27 -0800

Hello Listmates,

I'm wondering if those who have multiple Celiacs in the family have found an economical source for cereals, pasta, etc.  I have no gf source that offers more than an 8 oz. box of spaghetti for over $3.00.  I've looked on the internet stores and am frustrated not knowing name brands, what's good and what's not worth trying.  There are 6 of us in the family...all CD...gf about 2 mos.  They're going through food at a phenomenal rate (which may be a normal rate but I'm not used to it) now that they're feeling better.

We do lots of fruits and veggies, etc. and I'm not a big fan of them snacking on carbs but miss being able to throw some mac&cheese together when short on time (they always hated that, now they LOVE it gf) or having a pretzel every now and again.

I live in a remote town in Idaho but am willing to travel the 5 hours to Boise, ID or Missoula, MT, or any MT towns near there to stock up.  I'm mostly looking for economical &/or bulk sources of flours (more than 1.5lb. pkgs), Irish oats, basic breakfast cereal, pastas.  I don't know which brands through the co-ops are guaranteed gf, either.  I don't mind shopping over internet, just don't know where to begin...so many sources, all unfamiliar.

I hate to sound like a whiner...would so much appreciate any specific answers to my question...this list is such a blessing!  I am so thankful to have the "small" problem of finding a food source now that the source of our illness has been discovered!  Happy to be digesting again;-)

Kate in Salmon, ID