From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:49:59 -0400

Response from Stoneyfield. FYI...I'm one who doesn't worry about grain alcohol, since we're now allowed to have hard liquor. But...kudos to Stoneyfield for their insightful response. Their reference to asking my doctor is humorous. My doctors call me when they get a new celiac patient!
Lin

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.  We always welcome comments and questions from our yogurt lovers and are grateful when someone takes the time to let us know what they think of our products.

Though we don't add gluten there is an immeasurable amount of gluten in our yogurt. They can be found in our yogurts that contain natural flavorings. There is a grain alcohol that is used to extract flavors from spices. Our nonfat plain, low fat plain and whole milk plain do not contain any of these natural flavorings.  If you have any doubts on whether to consume these flavors, please contact your doctor.  We are still in the process of learning more about Celiac disease and have been told that some individuals are sensitive to even miniscule amounts. We have difficulty answering questions because we are concerned about giving out information to individuals who have unique and sensitive health issues without the person going through their doctor.  Especially since the outcome could be very serious.

We use a grain distilled alcohol to extract the flavors from the fruits if there is any trace of it would not be scientifically measurable.  In fact a lot of the celiac groups have taken the grain distilled alcohol of the danger list so it depends who you subscribe to.  We do not specifically add gluten to any of our yogurts we produce.

We are passionately committed to producing the best tasting, healthiest yogurts available, and trying to do some good in the world while we're at it. Visit our web site at www.stonyfield.com to learn more.