From:
Kemp Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:04:24 -0400

In <[log in to unmask]>, on 04/14/99
   at 10:10 AM, David J Walland <[log in to unmask]> said:

>>Can I point out to this list that Scotch Whisky is NOT made this way.
>>I've been researching it on the Web (the other form of research was done
>>years ago:-) There is a Scotch
>>Whisky Web page which has details of the double
>>distillation process...

>>http://www.scotch-whisky.org.uk/frame.htm

Thank you, David for real information about what the practice actually is.
Evidence  has been in short supply in this ongoing debate. Hypotheticals
fill the air.

Kramer & Shaw said:

>>I disagree with the above statement.  Dr. Tyler assumes the distillation
>>process is allowed to continue until complete (as would generally be the
>>case in a laboratory or industrial process).  This is not usually the
>>case in food/beverage processing.

Making a general statement like that suggests you're very familiar with
the industry. Please explain your experience. Can you give us examples of
a food alcohol and liquor companies that carry out such incomplete
distillations? Similarly of a liquor maker who adds the mash back in?

In that same spirit, I've seen  light rum but, not dark rum, specified as
acceptable for celiacs. The claim being that something, hypothetically
with gluten, is added to color the dark rum. Evidence please: name even
one manufacturer who admits to even adding anything to the aged
distillate. Don't both flavor and color come from aging in wooden casks?

Here are some questions that the celiac community in the US has been
remiss in getting answers to  in resolving these issues:

1. What are the relevant labelling, etc. regulations on the liquor
industry? Government agency BART. For example, can something called a
distilled liquor contain any of the original, non-distilled mash? That
mash sounds pretty awful to me: isn't the fermentaion to make the alcohol
carried out with bacteria or fungi? Can anything be added after
distillation? If so, regulations, if any?

2.  On the food alcohol side, such as used in many flavors, does a flavor
manufacturer buy a food alcohol ( with its own set of government
regulations, BART, not FDA) to use with the flavor or does he brew his
own?  If the former then what are the relevant regulations and what is the
general practice in that industry? If the former, then there's a Thomas
DIrectory listing such manufacturers --there won't be many --  and it's
straightforward to find out what "the practice" is. If the latter, then
only the FDA is involved with the low levels of alcohol in the final
product, leaving us with the vagueness of its labelling and the need to
call each manufacturer.

Let's try to bring some real evidence to the subject.

                                    Kemp Randolph
                                    Long Island