From:
Eleanor Symonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Nov 1998 10:54:37 -0400

According to posts in the archives, all McCormick's US pure spices and spice
blends, but not all the packet mixes, are GF.  Fair enough.  Here in Canada
there is apparently a GF list for McCormicks/Club House.  Not having seen
this list, I've been working on the assumption that their pure spices and
blends in tins are also GF.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

What I'm wondering is, does anyone know the the status of the brand "Spice
Cargo", which, according to the label, is also made by McCormick's?  Hope I
got the brand name right.  It is sold as a larger size in a clear plastic
envelope printed with a design in brown, of a ship's wheel and a map or some
such thing.

The reason I'm asking is that I use a *lot* of certain spices, and the tins
don't last very long, producing a lot of expense and wasted packaging.  I
generally get around this by grinding my own spices, but sometimes I can't,
e.g.  with turmeric, ginger and paprika.  Is there a larger, cheaper
"bulk"-type alternative?  I mostly use pure spices, but information about
blends, especially chili powder, would be appreciated too.

Please e-mail any replies and I will summarize.
Thanks!

Eleanor Symonds