From:
Theresa Brandon <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Theresa Brandon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:48:15 -0600

I would like to thank all those who responded to my need to know about fatty
liver infiltration and low blood platelets.
I received some good information, which I plan on sharing with my Doctor.  I
will sleep much better in the coming nights.

Here is the summary:

The question is why do you have fatty liver. I am assuming this is not

related to alcoholism. Are your liver enzymes elevated? Do you have diabetes

or insulin resistance? Are you overweight? Do you eat a high carbohydrate

diet or drink a lot of fructose drinks? A big cause of fatty liver is

thought to be fructose http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18395287 The HFCS

in soft drinks have been looked at

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19765850

Of course CD can cause elevated liver enzymes and liver disease

http://jccglutenfree.googlepages.com/liverdisease2

eMedicine has an article about fatty liver and says:

Causes

The most common association with fatty liver disease is metabolic syndrome.

This includes carrying the diagnosis of type II diabetes, obesity, and/or

hypertriglyceridemia. Other factors, such as drugs (eg, amiodarone,

tamoxifen, methotrexate), alcohol, metabolic abnormalities (eg,

galactosemia, glycogen storage diseases, homocystinuria, tyrosinemia),

nutritional status (eg, overnutrition, severe malnutrition, total parenteral

nutrition [TPN], starvation diet), or other health problems (eg, celiac

sprue, Wilson disease) may contribute to fatty liver disease. There are

reports of lean NASH families.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/175472-overview

I can't say about fatty liver other than insulin resistant type2 diabetics
like me are prone to it. You could check your A1C test and see what your
average blood sugars have been like. My fasting sugar is high normal (high
90s) but when I eat any sugar or starch it zooms way up (150, 160). So I am
on Metformin and that has helped and I lost a little weight.

For the platelets, I can tell you that two celiac friends of mine had low
platelets and they both improved with taking vitamin K, the natural one not
the synthetic one, 1 capsule a day (I think it is 100 MICROgrams). Within a
few months their blood tests came back up.

Unless you have a clotting disorder, I would try the vitamin K. It is only
the MDR dose anyway you would get in a multiple vitamin and is going tobe
alot safer than some chemo drug.

I'm pretty sure I read that fatty liver is a deficiency problem, something
like inositol. You aren't going to get this info from an MD, you'll have to
go search on the net or look in some really good nutrition/alternative
medicine books.

I'm not sure if you know this, but low platelets is (can be?) called
"idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura" or " immune" t.p. Google will bring
lots of info, some of it old. I think the immune name is newer, because I
think they now think it's an autoimmune disease.

Theresa Brandon