From:
Marshall Lasky <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marshall Lasky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Oct 2009 00:20:17 -0400

Re: "Length of time to get a celiac diagnosis"

Please bear with me.  I am preparing summaries about the responses
I've received to my post on 12 Oct 09 ( See Digest Issue 12-13 Oct
(#2009-425), but I have had a very large number of replies.

I had asked about Dr Peter Green's (2006) estimate of 9 years average
to get a diagnosis (as someone else had reported was stated in his
book), given that "
> The NIH Consensus Development Conference on Celiac Disease in June
> 2004 concluded that the average  time to get a diagnosis - once a
> person seriously started seeking medical help - was actually 11+
> years!  -- and I didn't see how the situation could change that
> much in two years.

The large number of responses received can be divided into three
categories:
A.  Those who treated the post as asking, "How long did it take you
to get diagnosed?"
B. Those who understood the actual question (above) and responded at
length with some very detailed and specific information (although not
necessarily about Dr Green's derivation).
C. Those who decided to launch an ad hominem flaming attack on me and
take my to task for my ignorance - but did not actually provide any
information to answer my question.

-----   Ah, well, fortunately for us all, the Celiac Listserv is
pretty much free of such flaming.

I am preparing two different Summaries:

First - summarizing the responses in A.  There were some interesting
stories. I should have the Summary in another few days

Second - summarizing the responses in B.
     It will take quite some time to process and analyze all the
citations, references, discussions, etc and sift and digest them, and
come up with a productive summary, so as I said, please be patient.

As to Category C, I will not include them in a Summary.  I am
replying to these people individually, as I find time (but they are
not high on my priority list.)

Marshall

*******
*******