From:
Todd Zerin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Todd Zerin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2002 12:37:29 -0500

Good day listmates!

For purposes of preparing a summary of responses to my inquiry about
correlation between general allergies and gluten/food intolerance, I
tallied a response for each reply that included a definite opinion or
observation as to a particular person’s experience.  Some of these
statements referred to third persons, such as children or siblings.  These
third persons are included in the tally.  While it goes without saying, in
no way was this a scientific study.  With that caveat, the responses were
broken into 5 categories as follow:

Observed General Allergies were:

28 persons - Better without Gluten (GF)
4 persons – Better without Gluten and other foods
8 persons – Better without some food(s) other than gluten
3 persons – No change on GF diet
2 persons – Worse on GF diet

Remarks:  I received approximately 60 e-mail replies (thank you to those
responding!) that included comments regarding approximately 75 persons.  It
is clear that some people do associate dietary change with a change in
allergy symptoms.  Scientific study would be necessary to ascertain whether
this association is mere coincidence.  I believe that if a scientific study
established a relationship, more study should then be done to determine
whether an elimination diet should be included in the protocol for
treatment of general allergy symptoms.  The responses certainly indicated a
wide variance in opinions and approaches from allergists.  Not that every
allergist should have the same opinions, but if there are many undiagnosed
food intolerances producing other allergy type symptoms, then maybe a new
approach is called for?