From:
Sandra Lutz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandra Lutz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 09:57:08 -0800

Thanks to all the responses about the bread.  I will definitely NOT be
eating this bread.  Here is what you all had to say:

_______________

Ezekiel 4:9 Bread is made from sprouted wheat, it is made by Food For Life,
it *definitely* contains gluten, and the manufacturer definitely does NOT
recommend it for celiacs.

But there are tons of shit-for-brains health food store clerks out there who
keep repeating the lie and giving bad information to celiacs.

Food For Life does make some gluten-free breads, including very tasty Rice
Almond and Rice Pecan breads. But they are clearly labeled gluten-free. See
http://www.food-for-life.com/browse.asp . The *only* safe products are the
ones in the Gluten-Free Breads/Pasta section.

________________

i would venture to say that this woman doesn't understand the difference
between "intolerance" and "celiac". a person can be sensitive to gluten
without
being a celiac. for a person with gluten-sensitivity, perhaps some wheat
products are acceptable in small quantities. for a celiac, obviously this is
not acceptable given the damage that occurs in our bodies with ingestion.

short answer: i think the terminology is disguising a difference in severity
of
the reaction.

___________________

I do eat the Ezekiel bread at times, maybe 4 times per month and have had no
problem with it even though I have a wheat allergy. This is controversial
and may
not be for everybody, it does work for me however

__________________

I've heard of it, but wheat sprouts are not safe.  In theory, the gluten in
contained in the head of the grain and the sprout supposed uses up the
gluten or something--but the bottom line is that it's wheat and it's got
gluten in it.  Also, many Ezekiel breads are made with other gluten grains
as well, particularly barley.

____________________

You will probably get a bazillion posts on this one. Ezekial bread is
often recommended by health food store employees as an alternative to
wheat bread. Unfortunately, it does contain gluten, from wheat kernels
that have not sprouted completely, and from wheat kernel dust that
cannot be converted to plant protein by sprouting. The store employees
mean well when they recommend ezekial bread, but they typically do not
understand the sensitivity of celiacs to gluten in any quantity. Some
ezekial breads are also sweetened with barley malt, another gluten
source.

___________________

Heard it plenty, and it's plenty WRONG!!!!!!!!!  It's wheat, it has gluten,
and so many health food stores misinform celiacs about this - makes me
spitting mad!

____________________

It is absolutely true that there is no gluten in the sprout per se. But
there is gluten in the seed (grain) which may well not be completely
removed prior to making the sprouted grains into bread. I've often thought
that the Ezekiel bread folks have never really thought through what their
claims about their bread mean--and I've never seen their product labelled
gluten-free. It is likely lower gluten than regular bread, but that's
about it.

_____________________

incorrect, I am familiar with this product.
She may be thinking about their other breads (4 kinds of rice and nut
breads, quite good) that are GF made by Breads for Life (800-216-3231).

_______________________

Many health food stores advocate wheat sensitive people eat Ezekiel bread or
Spelt bread.  Both have wheat and gluten. Avoid them at all costs.

I've eaten the bread in the past, but for my gi children, I wouldn't do it.
<shudder>

STAY AWAY FROM IT.  IT HAS GLUTEN IN IT.

If you check the ingredients in the bread, I'm sure it contains wheat
flour too.  This has been brought up many times and the bread is not gf.
Darn...