From:
J. Sauvage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 18:19:03 -0700

Hi everyone:

Here is the summary for taking tax deductions on gf food.  Thanks to the
folks who sent information!  This information can be found at:

http://www.celiac.com/tax.html

I would like to ask that you please do not email me with questions--
since I do not take deductions for gf food, I don't have any other
information than what you can find at the above web site.

To summarize, you:

* need to fall under the appropriate income categories to take medical
deductions on your Schedule A tax form

* need a detailed doctor's note stating your condition and that it
affects your diet for life

* can take the difference in cost between a gf product and the non-gf
product
    -so if a loaf of regular bread costs $2 and a loaf of gf bread costs
$3, you can deduct $1
    -you must save all receipts and do research into cost of non-gf
products

* can deduct the cost things like xanthan gum (because they have no
non-gf equivalent)

* can deduct shipping costs and mileage to and from special stores to
get your gf food

A couple of people claimed  that this type of a deduction is a red flag
for an audit, so you must keep detailed receipts and records.

--Jeanne