From:
"Terrence W. Meath" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Nov 1996 18:20:33 +0000

On Wed, 6 Nov 1996 23:57:17 PST Melinda Lawrence <malawrence@
JUNO.COM> wrote:

> My question is this.  Is there anyone out there with Celiac Disease who
> has to take b-12 injections?

Melinda,

I am new to this list too and have been watching for information
about the one thing that seems to make me unique among the list
members.  I take B-12 injections.

Like most everyone else, none of the doctors had a clue about what
was wrong with me, other than maybe I needed my head examined.
Finally one doctor advised my doctor that B-12 injections work on
people with my symptoms.  We tried it and it helped immensely.  That
was 14 years ago.   I have been taking a shot every three days since
that time.  All the while, however, I knew that I was only relieving
my symptoms and not dealing with the cause so I continued to press a
long string of doctors for additional study and diagnosis.

I finally made the right connection a few months ago.  I had to be
referred outside of the traditional medical model (and insurance
plan) to a nutritionist who specializes in absorption problems.
His preliminary diagnosis was a damaged gut, probably from gluten
intolerance and/or maybe from lactose intolerance but based upon my
history, probably not technically CD.  His tests, however, (which did
not involve a blood test or biopsy for CD) showed that I had Candida Krusei
and that my good intestinal bacteria was low.

My own research of the literature indicates that Candida can lead to
gluten intollerance and visa versa so I probably have both.  My
treatment plan is aligned with that thinking,  first restore the intestinal
ecology and then restore the villa.  At least that is my understanding of what
is going on.  I do know that I have had far better days in the last month on
a GF diet that I have had in all of those 14 years.  As for why B-12
and why it only lasts for three days, my doctor still does not know.
He has been advised by his colleagues that he should look to the
liver.  Right now, he (and I) are searching the literature for an
explanation.

- Terrence W. Meath
- Phone/Fax: (612) 686-8125