From:
"Sandra (Sandy) Cartwright" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 00:46:10 EST

   Thanks to all who sent thoughtful replies to my post.  A few appeared on to
the list.  All agreed that being gracious, helpful, kind, thoughtful,
reasonable, appreciative, and knowledgeable (the adjectives used) made us more
effective communicators.  This is true, as several pointed out, no matter if
we are dealing with manufacturers, the FDA, stores, restaurants, or our
doctors.  If we want respect, we need to be respectful.
   Yes, many said, it is frustrating at times dealing with some situations,
some people, and some attitudes.  However, they agreed that we are not going
to change them by berating them, or by being rude, demanding, angry, or
threatening (adjectives used).  Several stated, as Mara and Glenda did, that
how we present ourselves and how we ask for help, goes a long way in being
effective.
   Tami suggested that "we should pick our battles" and not expect the large
commercial companies to cater to our small consumer pool except in areas that
make commercial sense.  I agree to a point, however if you persuade a company
to put corn on the conveyor belt, (for instance) then my friend with a corn
allergy could not eat the product.  That is why I think working together with
other groups to educate the powers-that-be of the need for even more explicit
ingredient labels, that are current on each product, along with mailable
addresses and current phone numbers, is a good place to put our efforts. This
would benefit all "niche" groups and educate the manufacturers to the
importance of the issue.  I believe that work is being done on this.  We need
to back it up.
   Glenda's recommendations of a follow up letter to public relations, after a
thought out call during which we use a smiling voice, and keeping a record of
your contacts, were good ideas.
   Thanks to Donna, Vance, Judith, Susan, Diane, Chris, Nadine, Pam,
Gwynneth, Linda, Mara, Carl, Tami, Eileen, and Katherine for your constructive
input on and off the list.   Sandy