From:
Sheila Darbyshire <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Nov 2000 18:49:15 -0000

Hello everyone, Thanks to everyone who contacted me about the iodine
test.  The vast majority of people wanted to know the procedure involved
and some offered much appreciated support.

The aim of the test was to see if the iodine would bring up a blister or
rash associated with DH.  I completed the test today.  I took some
iodine, bought from the pharmacy,  applied it to cotton wool about 1
inch square and placed this pad on my forearm and another on my knee.
Very simple.  I was careful not to apply too much as it stains badly.  I
taped the pad  to my arm and knee with elastoplast and went about my
housework.  After about 40 minutes it was beginning to sting and itch
like mad but did not form blisters of any kind, not even a small rash.
I removed the pad and washed the area thoroughly.  I now have two bright
brown stains on my skin which have almost faded during the day, and the
soreness has gone.  I wonder if this test is positive or not.  I am none
the wiser, but it was interesting to try it.  I felt like I was dabbling
in science about which I really knew nothing.  But then, that is
probably what most doctors do when trying this test.  I really would
caution other people though, against using  iodine if you have a  DH
rash, as I am sure it could cause a lot of discomfort and could worsen
the original rash. It makes more sense to get a proper biopsy done and
be sure of the diagnosis.  Thanks to everyone who showed interest.
Take care - Sheila