From:
Lisa Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jul 2007 21:10:07 -0400

Following my post regarding listmates experiences cruising with Carnival I was
overwhelmed with replies and had to abandon responding to each individually
as good manners would require!  For a bit of context, we had just returned
from a Royal Caribbean cruise which we had planned well before our son
received a confirmed diagnosis (just two weeks before the trip).   We went
with good intentions of keeping the diet as best we could bearing in mind it
was all new.   We did contact the cruise line in advance as so many of the
board.  In fact we could not locate him and spoke instead to the Head Waiter
of our section – he, as well as our waiter, seemed very familiar with our
requirements and I was relieved not to get a blank stare.   We were provided
with GF bread in the dining room which my son loved (like cake!) and the
following evening’s menu was brought to me at dinner to point out selections
that were available.

In practice, we often ate in the cafeteria area as that suited our schedule and
dress code preferences....and tried to make “educated guesses” – salad,
vegetables, fruit, rice, potatoes and plain looking foods without sauces.
Being so new, my objective was to “minimize the damage” – obviously not the
ideal approach and in fact we somewhat abandoned the whole thing in the
last three days, writing it off as his last opportunity to enjoy these foods.
Since receiving all these responses and bearing in mind that Carnival has 24
hour pizza, my son’s favourite food, we have decided that it would be unfair
and somewhat irresponsible on our part to put such temptation before him.
Vacations for us will be options that allow us to stay near urban areas and do
some cooking ourselves, such as timeshare and house rentals.   He is now
100% on a GF diet; he is doing well and looking forward to GF camp.    I hope
that the summary below is helpful to others and I want to make sure that you
know how much I appreciate the time you all took to respond.

1. General - contact the cruise line beforehand and advise of requirements;
contact the maitre d on board and speak with a chef if possible (choose a
quite, non-service time), eat mainly in the dining room, build relationships with
buffet/cafeteria staff; take own GF snacks; be polite but persistent; choose
late dinner service as your order may take longer and you won’t run into a
next sitting; make intelligent choices, be prepared for staff that don’t
necessarily speak English well; bring your own pizza shells.

2. Carnival – overall not good although a couple of positive experiences,
servers indicated that they understood but offered selections that were
suspicious or definitely off-limits.  Even when advised in advance no
preparation was made on board. Not as careful as other cruise lines.  Special
desserts prepared. Good experience with the efforts of certain staff – not
necessarily the cruise line.

3. Holland America – generally positive experience, could depend on who the
executive chef is and how much s/he can be bothered.  Even ice cream
always came with a wafer even when asked not to. GF muffins provided at
breakfast; some help available at the buffet.  Cruise line faxed list of GF
provisions beforehand to choose from – had bagels, cereal, pancakes, etc.

4.Celebrity – universally positive experiences – menu selections were prepared
in a GF manner.

5.Royal Caribbean – experiences were good – servers were helpful and
alternatives offered; sometimes would make exceptional effort to make GF
desserts, other times not.

6.Norwegian – effort slightly below that of Royal Caribbean; sailing scheduled
for this August and list was given by the cruise line to choose so they are
supplied on board (this seems great – would be interested to hear how it turns
out in practice)

7.Princess – “fantastic” – let them know your requirements well beforehand by
faxing to their dietary-related department. GF crackers, bread, cornbread,
muffins, pasta provided.  Very accommodating.

8.Queen Mary (P&O, I believe) – GF bread provided even 10 yrs ago –
probably better now (is she still sailing?)

9.Other – referred to a GF group in NY who has a member that organizes GF
trips [log in to unmask] or 631/926-3696 (hope I share a referral
fee!!)

Lisa