From:
Carol Castellano <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2000 06:05:46 EST

Thanks everyone for your responses.  Sorry this took so long.

Summary of reasons against follow-up endoscope/biopsy:

1.  no longer the standard practice ref. to
www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/319/7204/236

2.  doctor is monitoring vitamin levels which are normal, has gained weight
and symptons are gone, why do another?

3.  doctor said blood test every 3 months until tests are negative, the
yearly has eliminated the need for additional biopsies

4.  what is the purpose?

5.  maybe the doctor has a child he would like to put through college!

6.  if feeling well and not having any problems not necessary

7.  blood tests sufficient ref. http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/

8.  endoscopy is not without risk

Summary of reasons in favor of a follow-up endoscope/biopsy:

Most who responded in favor seemed to have this opinion for peace of mind
that their villi was healing...to find out if there was improvement.

Misc. Opinions:

1.  Some doctors believe in it and some don't...depends on personal situation

2.  Doc said if it isn't broken don't fix it...I feel like I should have one
every couple of years

3.  May show some minute trace of an as yet undefined problem that may be
more curable in its early stages..besides, the doc probably has a car payment
due soon!