Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 2015 23:33:32 -0500

Regarding my post on where to go for food allergy testing, here is my summary.  Thank you so much for your replies, especially the very lengthy ones -- thanks for taking the time! Rose

I'm scheduled to see an allergist for food testing in a week. He is a regular M.D. I have a friend who had a lot of food testing done by an M.D. I think it is pretty common for allergists to do this type of testing.

***
I noticed reactions to lactose, listened to other people used lactase tablets when eating dairy and was fine. I had an allergist do the skin prick test who explained that it was notthe same reaction when substances are ingested.
***
I saw an allergist for the food allergy testing.  I did an at home test for the food intolerances... I had to put saliva into a tube and send it to the company and they test it for the food intolerances. I found the company thru the Celiac Listserve… It does the Elisha testing on the saliva. It tests for 96 different foods that people are often intolerant to.  People usually become intolerant to foods that they eat often and possibly crave.
***
I've had food allergy done in Leonardtown, MD. They tested for a long list of foods and I was allergic to a bunch...   Then, I did the food intolerance testing and that added a number of other foods, wheat being among those.  Once I eliminated these foods, I felt much better.
***
I have been tested by both MD and chiropractor.  In my opinion, you should see both.  The MD (specializing in allergies and immunization) does skin scratch testing (and some do blood testing).  In my case, he identified a number of foods, but then, you need to do a food challenge to determine if you should avoid eating the foods you were positive to on the skin test.  The chiropractor does muscle testing.  The chiropractor can’t tell you if you are allergic in the sense you could have an anaphylactic reaction, but he cantell you the foods your body doesn’t like having in it…Food allergies are hard to identify, so, the more data you can collect, the more likely you will be able to figure out whatis bothering your body.  There is a blood test called ALCAT.
***
There is no "one size fits all" diet for any of us and eliminating something that does not agree with your body is no different than tossing out that pair of shoes that gives you blisters or hurts your back.  While you may choose to "endure" occasionally (but never with gluten!), it's also nice to be able to limit your suffering.  Nothing tastes as good as gluten-free/healthy feels!
I've found that the food lists in the Eat Right for Your Type book by Dr. Peter D'Adamo helpful to figure out both safe and problematic foods. Diet is based on blood type…  Basic nutrition--adequate protein and essential Omega 3 fats with anti-inflammatory properties, along with B vitamins not found in white GF starches, is also important.
***
I see a naturopathic doctor and she’s done the Elisa (sp?) test twice on me.  It tests for many food allergies.
***
(My daughter) had food testing done (for IgG, not IgE) at a naturopath.  The allergist just looked at us as if we were crazy when we asked whether they did that type of testing.They said it wasn't a real allergy.  However, avoiding the foods that she tested positive for on the IgG test reduced some of her physical discomfort and symptoms…The IgG test results will change over time-- so if you are able to find an MD or DO to do the test, you might want to repeat it a few years later and see if the results are different.  An Integrative MD or DO might do the tests for you, or even some chiropractors.  Also, I think you might be able to go directly to a lab and get the test done (do a google search).
***
If you think you are reacting to foods besides gluten containing ones, keep a very detailed food diary for a month… By doing that, when I took my kid to the doctor for food allergy testing, I had a good idea what he was reacting to… It's also worth noting that the 4 items I had identified as the biggest problems turned out to be extreme positives on the allergy tests. The tests done were blood tests, done by the University of Nebraska lab, which is one of the best.
***

Had mine done by enterolab-my doc wouldn't do any-told me I needed to see an allergist so I thought I would skip the middle man and make it cheaper.
***

Many alopathic physicians will order IgG ELISA
tests for common food sensitivities from such labs as Immuno Labs in Ft.
Lauderdale, Fla, and other labs such as Great Smokies Labs...Most traditionally
trained physicians do not see IgG sensitivities as being as important as food
allergies that they associate with anaphylaxis, but many of them do recognize
that IgG sensitivities can produce chronic complaints such as diarrhea, joint
pains, etc.

I am a dietitian and use Mediator Release Testing in my practice for non-allergy delayed
hypersensitivity reactions and we see very good results reducing inflammation
and symptoms, usually in just 10 days to see significant improvement.  You
can find out more about it on my website http://www.susanlinke.com/portfolio/leap/gallery/labs/

and if you scroll down
on my home page,  I've created 3 very short youtube videos that also talks
about food sensitivities and the MRT test/LEAP protocol.......

http://www.susanlinke.com/