From:
Diane Pearson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 04:02:31 -0500

Hello.  I've had a hankering to make myself some dolmades (Greek stuffed
grape leaves), but am in a quandary.  Since I don't know where to get
fresh or frozen grape leaves in the New York City area, I have been
peering at the jars of preserved grape leaves in the ethnic markets
here.  All of the brands I have looked at (5 or 6 so far!) contain
either citric acid, or, in one case, sodium metabisulfite, which I have
never heard of and have not found listed on any of the gluten-free
lists.  The labels tend not to have manufacturer phone numbers.

     I am trying to decide whether I should risk purchasing one that
says "product of California" and has citric acid (US-made, I would
hope?), or else one made in Turkey with the mysterious "sodium
metabisulfite" in it.   I figure that imported brands containing citric
acid would be the worst risks.