From:
Marilyn Gardner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 13:48:48 EDT

I will try again to see if I can get this message through to the list:

I had eleven responses to my question about problems following someone's
suggestion on this list that cornstarch can be substituted cup for cup for
flour in chocolate chip cookie recipes.

One person said that cornstarch can be substituted for CAKE flour but not for
all-purpose flour and suggested going to FoodTV.com for a chocolate chip
recipe that uses cake flour.

One person suggested using only half of the cornstarch (as in done in white
sauce).

Two people said that cornstarch just wouldn't work as a flour substitute.

Three people suggested using The Gluten-Free Kitchen by Roben Ryberg which
has cookie recipes using cornstarch and potato starch (both of which I have
found in regular grocery stores in the Evanston IL area).

Four people suggested other flour mixtures (which was what I was trying to
avoid, although I have tried some of them successfully in the past):

    2/3 white rice flour and 1/3 tapioca flour, or,
    Gluten Free Pantry's French Bread Mix, or,
    Bette Hagman's bean flour mix, or,
    Betty Hagman's GF flour mix

Marilyn Gardner