From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 1997 11:30:08 -0500

I got 13 very helpful replies to my dumpling request post. Thanks to all

Several people suggested using any gf biscuit recipes, and floating the
dough on the surface of the stew,  then cooking with the pot covered to
get them tender instead of crispy. Some suggested just substituting gf
flour for standard flour in any cookbook*s biscuit recipe. Several
suggested using Bette Hagman*s recipes in *The Gluten-free Gourmet Cooks
Fast & Healthy* which I haven*t found yet (I have her two earlier books),
but obviously must order. Crystal sent me copies of these recipes, and a
delicious-sounding poached chicken recipe from the same book. Here are
some other replies:

Bob: *There is a "Bavarian potato dumpling Mix" put out By "Panni"
that is  available in the Baltimore Area. Ingredients appear to be OK and
I do NOT react to it.*
Susan:
*I adapted this recipe from the Whole Foods Cookbook put out by the Leche
League:

1 cup rice flour or corn flour
2 t baking powder
2-3 eggs water as needed

Drop by spoonfuls into boiling soup or stew. Lower heat and cook uncovered
10 minutes, then covered for 10 minutes.
My husband likes these on sauerkraut...*
Dennis:
*I've been having decent luck with brown rice flour, white rice flour
and tapioca.  For example: Something like
1 cup brown, 1/2 cup white, 1/4 cup tapioca.
I've also been doubling the amt. of baking powder.
Also use 1 tesp. of Xanthan gum per cup of flour.

Experiment with your own recipies and try the above sub. or a variation on
it.  Sometimes it takes a couple time to get what you want.  I then modify
my recipies to have both version.  Original and GF.

I like the brown rice flour for it's color and consistency.
Tapioca adds texture.*
Marilyn:
*If you want to make dumplings on top of stew, what I used to do was make
biscuits, then cook them on top of the stew, gently, with a tight fitting
cover, for 10 or 15 minutes, or  until a toothpick comes out clean. It
doesn't make a crust because the moisture is kept in by the lid. . . .
(Marilyn Gioannini
Author of "The Complete Food Allergy Cookbook")*
Linda:
*I have a biscuit recipe on my web page that can be used to make those
wonderful cooks-right-in-the-stew dumplings. The bad news is it comes from
a mix you make yourself; the good news is you can use this mix (like
bisquick, almost) to make a whole lot of other things. It is not really a
bisquick substitute (it's more versatile than that) as it doesn't
already have the fat and baking powder and soda in it but there are other
recipes on my page that show you what you can do.

The web page is at: http://www2.basinlink.com/us/mindpla/main.htm

The index at the bottom of the page will take you right to the recipes.

If you don't have web browser capability and would like me to email a
copy of the page to you, please let me know. Thanks.

Linda Blanchard http://www.ccgs.com celiac books by mail

P.S. Alternatively you could search for author email of "mindplay" and
"/R" and "Biscuit" on the list and probably come up with the post
I posted to the list....*
Judy:
*I followed my usual recipe for dumplings, using maize flour instead of
the usual wheat flour. The result was better than we expected, they were
certainly soft and floated on the stew.*

(I have no economic interest in any brands, books, or sites mentioned
above.)
Yummy! Thanks again! Bobbi in Baltimore