From:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Medresearch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Dec 2005 01:12:53 -0500

The younger brother of a lady in our church is going to Johns Hopkins this
week for an evaluation because he is losing his sight on the right side in
both eyes.  He has had various exams, CATScan and MRI with no results.  They
thought
it was a brain problem because it is in both eyes but can't find anything.
This is going on a couple of months he has been deteriorating.

I have suspected there is celiac in this family from history, some of the
weird
medical things they have dealt with etc.

My husband has had problems with papillaedema of the head of the optic nerve
in both eyes where it connect at the back of the eye, but it has been slowly
improving off gluten and taking large doses of calcium, magnesium & D.  I
read somewhere you
can get papillaedema from an extreme calcium deficiency.

But I have not read anything like this boy has.

Do any of you know anything about this kind of a strange thing where you
would
lose the vision on the right side of both eyes due to some neurological
effects of
celiac or other autoimmune thing.  This boy is only in his early 20s and the
doctors
seem stumped.

Thanks for anything you know.
Paula in Pa.