From:
Diane Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Nov 1999 15:11:04 -0800

Hi,

Joel Elias wrote in part:
"I got to wondering what it would take to get food labels that
disclose gluten content, and compliance with and enforcement of
existing regulations. That led me to wonder what the national celiac
organizations are doing about the issue of food labeling for celiacs.
I believe that these organizations should be in the lead of efforts to
lobby the FDA and USDA on our behalf and would like to hear from the
leaders of CSA/USA, GIG and CDF, in this forum, about their efforts on
food  labeling and what we as individuals can do to help."

I agree with what Joel says, but it got me wondering how many USA
celiacs belong to (as in support) these organizations.  Any
organization is only as strong as its membership and its leadership.
Numbers and money talk.  I encourage all of you to join at least one
group to go to bat for us in this instance and many others.  And, as
I've mentioned in the past, how much more effective one huge national
organization would be rather the scattered resources and energy of so
many groups.

 Diane Holmes - Kirkland WA USA

FYI - Since dx, I have belonged to GIG, CDF and CSA.  Due to the
volume of misinformation CSA dishes out, I dropped that membership
several months ago.