From:
"J.V. Rich" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
J.V. Rich
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2004 21:42:46 -0700

I am feeling proud of myself and thought perhaps some of you might
relate or be interested.

When we found out our daughter was celiac about a year and a half ago,
I insisted that our household go gluten-free and also that my husband
and I eat completely gluten-free all the time.  My thought was that we
needed to learn how to deal with life gluten-free so that we could
teach our child.  Also, I never felt OK eating gluten when I knew our
daughter could not and was missing her old favorite foods so much.
Anyway, my husband is one of the nicest people in the world, so he went
along with me even though neither of us had any reason to believe that
we were celiac.  (And of course, since we eat GF, testing wouldn't tell
us anything!)

All the food problems seemed to be in my family - my mother's father
died of metastasized intestinal cancer, my second cousin on my mother's
side has a wheat problem (may be an allergy or celiac), and there were
any number of uncles on my father's side with ulcerative colitis.  So
we thought that celiac was most likely on my side of the family, not my
husband's.  (Of course, none of our relatives want to consider that any
health problem might be food-related and refuse to be tested.)  So
going gluten-free seemed to be of little value other than providing our
daughter with moral support, at least until recently.......

For some years, my husband has been going to an osteopath who
manipulates his muscle tissue and bones to relieve pressure points and
stress.  My husband has been in several bicycle accidents and had some
football injuries and broken bones, swimmer's shoulder followed by
several shoulder surgeries... has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia...
anyway, he is in pain a lot and so for years has gone to an osteopath.
She has noted that her treatments don't seem to be getting at the
underlying problem - she treats him but the treatments don't last.  She
has also treated our daughter when she has whacked herself falling out
of swings, etc. and not been very successful with her either.  For lack
of any better approaches, they both continue to go to her - my daughter
goes as needed, and my husband as often as twice a week.

Recently she asked my husband if he was following the same diet as our
daughter.  She said that his tissues are much less stuck together,
allowing her to release much more of the tension and problems that have
been plaguing him for years.  I spoke to her about it and she said that
when the gut is inflamed, it affects all the tissues.  She said that
going on a gluten free diet has made a tremendous difference not only
in our daughter, but also in my husband.  Now she can work deeper and
make more progress.

AHA!  Anyway, I guess my husband owes his improving physique to our
diagnosed daughter and his pushy wife.  I just love it when I am right,
even if it is for the wrong reasons!

Has anybody else had a similar experience or feedback about the
relationship between diet and muscle tissue from massage therapists,
chiropractors, osteopaths, or other professionals?

Jackie in AZ