From:
Sue Foss <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:13:38 -0700

Thank you for your responses about whether or not Benefiber can
legitimately claim to be gluten free. They are below:

If it says "wheat" in any way, shape or form, then it has gluten in it.
------------
No, it bothers me and I used to use it before they added wheat.
--------
10 ppm could mean 9 ppm.  I do not consider that to be GF.  GF means
ZERO ppm.
--------
For me, g.f. is also wheat free since I don't want to support the use
of wheat in products that don't need to have it in.

If we start doing a bit of low gluten wheat-something here and
another bit there, it gets increasing difficult to define GF and
avoid it...And it we do get sick, it will also be harder to track
down the offending product.

HOWEVER it appears products with wheat-derived ingredients might be
certified as GF by GIG IF the manufacturer can proves it will have
less the 10 ppm and meets other program critieria This comes from
http://www.gfco.org/

Does gluten-free certification guarantee that a product is gluten-free?

The mark assures that the product contains less than 10 ppm gluten (5
ppm gliadin) and similar proteins from rye and barley as measured by
using testing methods that are accepted for gluten testing by
analytical associations such as the Association of Analytical
Communities (AOAC), testing researchers and other such agencies.
There is no testing method available that measures to zero.

Does gluten-free mean individuals with severe wheat allergy can eat
the product?Not necessarily, you should consult your physician.
Gluten-free foods are foods safe for persons with celiac disease.
They have none or very low levels of the 'gluten' proteins that could
be harmful to persons with celiac disease. Celiac disease is a t-cell
mediated reaction. Wheat allergies involve an IgE-mediated reaction
to the wheat proteins albumin and globulin fractions. Gluten could
also, in rare situations, induce an IgE-medicated reaction.

CSA has less info on their GF certification program online regarding
the specifics but appears that anything wheat-dervied would not
qualify, regardless of ppm.

Benefiber's frank disclosure of the change in ingredient status
(online at http://www.benefiber.com/fiberHealth/index.shtml?
faqs#question1 ) They knowingly changed to something that would be
questionable to those going GF.  Basically, "This is what were are
doing..Take it or leave it, the choice is yours! "
i refuse to have it as long as it says "wheat" .
KONSYL has ONLY physillium husk in it, w/ no additives, i love it.
Citrucel is gf but it has sugar or sugar substitues and flavor &
coloring which i do not like.

MIRALAX works miracles!
you can have the doctor write you a prescription so you dont have to
pay that much.

i checked all these 3 products w/ the manufacturer to be free of
gluten and casein.