From:
Deni Hansen-Gray Weber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Aug 1997 15:17:43 -0500

Hi.  We have heard rumors of the existence of a gluten test kit.  Does
anyone know how to obtain one?  We are unable to verify the GF status of
several meds used to be used in deni's scheduled endoscopic procedure, and
are looking for a fast do-it-ourselves solution.

She had a gallbladder function test this past Monday and we had been
assured by the manufacturer of one drug used that the only potential source
of gluten was in the alcohol used early on in the synthesis of this
product, and that there was less than 0.5 microgram (not milli, MICRO!) of
alcohol present in the total standard dose.  The doctor proceeded with the
test and (as you may have already guessed) she reacted violently to the
second injection. Disorientation, turning purple, convulsions in the feet,
legs and lower back.  Two injections of vallium and a hefty dose of
benadryl (Walgreens brand generic, because the name brand is no longer
guaranteed GF!) were required to bring this back under control.

Does a home test exist?  How can we get one quickly? Are there any other
effective tests, perhaps an allergy scratch test?

Thanks in advance, Steve & deni Weber (Indiana, USA)

PS.  Thanks for all of the replies to our previous <? barium gluten free?>
post of 8/6/97.  We will summarize (REALLY) when this situation resolves
and we have time to breathe again!

Steve Weber,

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he  thinks he already knows." --
Epictetus