From:
Cecilia Vohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 07:04:44 -0700

Dear Listmates:

Thanks to the posting by the Listmember who very generously gave us the
posting of the article on citric acid.  Although I could not find her direct
quote, I did find this quote:

"Domestic citric acid capacity remains stable. There are three domestic
producers of citric acid--Archer Daniels Midland, Cargill, and Haarmann &
Reimer--with total capability of 460 million lb/yr of citric acid. All three
produce citric acid through the fermentation of corn-based dextrose. The
acid can also be derived from other sources of dextrose, including cane
sugar and wheat."

So, supersleuths are we!  I'm not sure manufacturers are aware of this
connection, so I believe we must also ask if their product contains citric
acid, and if so, was it made from wheat - and also if they have any good
jokes, 'cuz I could really use one 'bout now...

Cecilia Vohl