From:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Jul 2007 18:16:14 -0600

MORE. One of our members did more research at Fleming's.  I just thought I
would keep you posted about Fleming's in the Woodlands.  There seems to be
some errors in the gluten free menu. I assume the info would apply to their
menu at other locations as well.

        As you mentioned, Fleming's has a gluten free menu now.  I've eaten
there twice now and had some concerns.  Last time, I had a really good
waitress who has an 11 year old niece (I think) just diagnosed with Celiac
so she was really interested in and had time to talk about the menu and was
willing to check some items for me with the kitchen.  For instance, all of
the sides except macaroni, fried onions, and creamed corn are noted as
gluten free on the "in house" menu.  However, when the waitress double
checked for me, the creamed spinach did have flour.  Many items on the menu
have blue cheese. (Blue Cheese may be OK; check original package label.)
The seafood is marked gluten free except the crusted shrimp, but the
scallops come in puff pastry.  So the result is that Fleming's in the
Woodlands is going to take another look at their gluten free menu and see
what revisions need to be made.

      On a positive note, I did have 2 successful dinners at Fleming's with
no poisoning.  I had the veal chop one time and the fillet mignon another
time with sides of broccoli and sauteed spinach.  I also had mixed
berries--but no cream or ice cream.  I feel I can eat at Fleming's
successfully, BUT would recommend asking questions and double checking that
items really are gluten free before ordering.

I hope this helps you investigate for your yourself.

Janet Rinehart, Chairman

Houston Celiac Support Group

www.houstonceliacs.org <http://www.houstonceliacs.org/>

281-679-7608