Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 1996 14:16:33 -0500

Fran, I do not have high blood sugar, but the opposite.  I noticed that I was
getting excessively tired and weak before meals, more often the evening meal,
so I went to the doctor.  After enduring both a lab test and a glucose
tolerance test, it was found that I am hypoglycemic.  In talking to my
primary care physician, who gave me the results, I asked if this was related
in some way to celiac, for which I was diagnosed at the end of November.  He
wasn't sure, but said that he would ask my gastroenterologist the next time
he talked to him.

The doctor told me that because my mother developed diabetes (hyperglycemia)
when she was in her late 40's, I'm at risk for developing it as well, even
though I have low blood sugar at this time.  (My Mom does not have cd, by the
way).  Has anyone else developed hypoglycemia at or around the time of being
diagnosed with cd and going gluten-free?  How much is either hyper- or
hypoglycemia related to cd and the resulting gf diet?

Thanks,

Deb
Blacksburg, VA