From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 23:50:02 EST

Miscellaneous Notes:
--------------------

Editor's Corner:  In the last few newsletters, you may have noticed
something missing:  There were very few articles from other
newsletters.  We needed a lot of space for the Canadian Celiac
Conference report and other articles of local and national interest.
That, combined with our long summer break, means I have a huge stack
of newsletters to plow through (I mean, to carefully read, digest, and
snip excerpts from with a precise editorial knife).  With this issue,
I'll make a start at this, and I'll catch up in the next few issues.
The problem, of course, is that there are many other fine newsletters
out there, and the content of these newsletters has steadily increased
and improved.  Also, we have steadily increased the number of groups
we are exchanging newsletters with, so that it is up to something like
42 groups.  Still, this is a nice problem to have, and I'm sure it
will be a long time before we have to worry about searching for
content to fill up the space in our newsletter.--Jim Lyles

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Tips from Regina Kukielka:

  *  At a salad bar in Meijer's, I found Hellmann's individual salad
     dressing packets for 25 cents each.  (All Hellmann's dressings
     are GF, according to a phone conversation with them.)  I found
     these packets very handy to take to restaurants, parties, etc.
     At some Meijer's stores they keep them behind the deli counter
     instead of at the salad bar.

  *  The Red Star Instant Active Dry Yeast (1 lb.)  is very economical
     to use.  According to Red Star, use only half the amount called
     for in the recipe.  You can keep it in the freezer for up to 6
     months.  Even if you do not use it all up, you will be money
     ahead.  Try it and compare.

  *  I have always found Toni's buns to be wonderful, but a little
     difficult for some to make.  I found that the "Rapid Rise French
     Bread" recipe in Bette Hagman's More From the Gluten-Free Gourmet
     makes very good sandwich (or hamburger) buns and is much easier
     to make.  I find that buns last longer and travel better than
     slices of bread.  The Gluten Free Pantry sells hamburger and hot
     dog bun rings.  Your waitperson should be able to microwave a
     single bun in its own baggie for five seconds for you to enjoy
     with your meal.

  *  Take a GF bun out of the freezer, thaw it in the micro, then put
     some mozarella cheese, oregano, and basil on each half.  Broil it
     in the oven or toaster oven for a quick cheese pizza.

  *  Catholic celiacs have a dilemma when it comes to receiving
     communion.  The host is made from wheat, so a celiac cannot
     safely receive communion in the traditional manner.  Try to make
     arrangements to receive your communion in the form of rice bread.
     If you can't, take heart:  God knows and understands your desire.

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

New Restaurant Cards:  We have updated our restaurant card.  This card
summarizes the ingredients we can't have or must be careful about, and
lists some items that are commonly available or can be easily prepared
at most restaurants.  They are available for $1 each at our meetings.
You can also get one by mail.  Send $1 and a self-address, stamped
envelope to TCCSSG, 41415 Andre, Novi, MI  48377.

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Hershey's Has Gluten-Free Chocolate Recipes and they will mail them to
you on request.  In recipes that call for corn flakes, remember to use
gluten-free brands instead of Kellogg's or Post brands.  Call
800-468-1714.  (Thank you to member Terry Kotlensky for this
information.)

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Help For Fractures:  Scientists have come up with a new treatment for
broken bones.  A cement made of calcium phosphate can be injected
directly into wrist, knee, ankle, hip, shoulder, skull, and spinal
fractures.  Called the Norian Skeletal Repair System, it replaces
damaged spongy bone tissue and hardens in ten minutes.  Over time, the
body replaces the cement with bone.  Patients are out of casts within
weeks rather than months, so there is less joint stiffness and muscle
atrophy.  The cement may also help strengthen bones weakened by
osteoporosis.  The cement is already used in Europe and is awaiting
FDA approval in the USA.  It may be available to doctors in the USA in
1999.<1>

                            -=-=-   -=-=-

Cooking and the Modern Family:  A recent survey of American eating
habits in _Bee Culture_ magazine contained the following facts:

  *  Those surveyed thought the ideal food preparation time was 15
     minutes.  By the year 2030, it is estimated that families will
     want this to drop to five minutes.

  *  Only one third of women over the age of 20 bake for fun, even
     once per year.

  *  75% of Americans do not know at 4 pm what they'll be eating for
     dinner.

  *  75% of American children do not know how to cook.

  *  In 1995, restaurant sales exceeded supermarket sales.

  *  The sources of meals consumed at home are:  41% fast food, 21%
     restaurant takeout, and 22% supermarket takeout.  Only 16% of the
     meals Americans consume at home are (presumably) home-cooked.

In another survey reported in _The New York Times_, 75% of those
polled did not know how to cook broccoli and 50 % couldn't prepare
gravy.  45% [nearly half!!!] did not know how many teaspoons are in a
tablespoon.  [Ed. note:  It's three.  You'll be quizzed at the next
meeting]

Why are Americans so lacking in spunk in the kitchen?  Perhaps
because, unlike most of recorded history, we live in a time when we
don't have to cook to keep from starving.  Or perhaps cooking is not
considered enlightening enough.  (Going to the moon is worth the
effort; but making chicken parmesan is less noble?)<2>