Date:
Sat, 28 Jun 2008 13:25:31 -0700

I have had a wonderful trip to both Spain and Italy and have found the celiac diet very easy to manage in both countries.  In Spain the dept store chain El Corte Inglese is in all the major cities and you can find a section selling "sin glutin" products.  In Italy the Pharmacias carry "senza gluten"  products.

Some of the restaurants in Italy which were celiac friendly were:

    Ristorante San Giovanni --Pontone Italy [ in the Amalfi coast area]
    La Locanda del Vino Nobile, Montepulciano Italy:  a wonderful ancient B&B with an owner/chef who made gluten free pasta, and a cake for me.
    Valmontone B&B:  [about 3/4 hour south of Rome]  This is a super B&B owned by and artist with her work displayed through out the house. The owners have a lovely     country home and garden with fruit trees, magnolias, and two horses. They served a wonderful breakfast with gluten free rolls.
    Ristorante di Poggio Antico: Montalcino Italy. --a wonderful gluten free menu
    Barone Ricasoli, vineyards and Osteria.  excellent attention to my celiac needs

In Spain we were on a bus tour of the major cities.  I always had an orange, some rolls and some cheese with me but in most cases I did not need to have worried. The chefs and restaurant personnel had a good awareness of Celiac needs and I was well looked after. In Madrid we ate at two of the cellar restaurants near Plaza Mayor.[excellent garlic prawns].  Monchos restaurants in Barcelona were very adaptable.

I had a restaurant card with me in both Italian and Spanish.  I recommend them.