Date:
Sat, 19 Jul 2003 00:50:17 -0400

There have been several requests recently for a good GF protein powder or sports bar. I had been using two protein powders for years before my diagnosis just because they were tasty. I was thrilled to confirm with the manufacturer that they are GF, and I have been using them with no problems. Both are manufactured by a company called Next Proteins. They are not marked gluten-free anywhere on the packaging.

Here are the details:

- Designer Whey  is a whey protein powder that comes in several flavors including chocolate, vanilla, vanilla-praline, strawberry and natural. I have purchased it at several locations, but not all flavors are at all locations. Stores I have found this product at include GNC, Trader Joe's, Henry's (a San Diego chain of health food-style stores), and I recently saw it listed in the Vitamin Shoppe catalog (www.vitaminshoppe.com) for a much cheaper price. Designer Whey tends to be marketed to athletes so you might find it at sports/health types of stores. There are natural and artificial flavors in the product but I've tolerated them fine.

- Aria is a soy/whey blend that is marketed to women because of the soy content, although there are no herbs or other ingredients that make this inappropriate for men. Flavors I've seen are chocolate and vanilla. I've only found it at Trader Joe's.

I had e-mailed the customer service department at Next Proteins at www.nextproteins.com and got a highly informative response from Janet Bryant, a Sales/Customer Service rep who says she frequently works with celiacs and is available to answer questions. She assured me that Designer Whey and Aria are gluten-free as well as another product called Designer Whey Blast. She explained that the sweetener I had questioned, called Trutina dulecem, is a natural fruit concentrate.

She also said that some of their protein bars are gluten-free but to read the ingredients for flavors that contain cookies or brownies. Their brands of protein bars include Next Up, Designer Whey, and Detour. I found some at GNC and the Vitamin Shoppe catalog.   I only tried one and did not like the taste but will try others.

I have no financial interest in this company or their products. I was very surprised to discover that the company's headquarters are located in the city in which I live, but I do not know anyone who works there.

Jill Easton
San Diego, CA