From:
"Mark Michel (USF)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 1995 15:34:25 -0500

Hello everyone.  My name is Mark and I'm 23 yrs. old.  Here's my story and
I'll try to make it brief.  While seeing a gastroenterologist for my
recent(?) ills, I was doing a bit of research on my own and came across CD
(many thanks to everyone on this list).  The symptoms (fatigue, fatty
stools, difficulty gaining weight, difficulty concentrating, itchy skin,
irritability, etc.) seemed to match all too well and I began to suspect
that CD was what I had.  So then my GI orders a stool test for fat
content.  It showed a definite increase in fat so he ordered another one.
It showed an even greater amount than the first one.  Then it was on to
the small bowel biopsy and d-xylose absorption test which both proved
negative for CD so my GI said that the stool samples must have been wrong
because no one could have that much fat in the stool and not have a
malabsorption problem.  He ended up diagnosing me with Irritable Bowel
Syndrome, unwilling to run another stool test despite my prodding.
    Later I found out that my GI had never diagnosed anyone with CD and
that people that have it don't always test positive on the d-xylose test.
Also my GP said that he didn't know what to do (duh?) and that it was
probably just something I'd have to figure out on my own.  Well, I still
think I have CD and I've been on the diet for about two weeks and am not
noticing much improvement in my gut or in my level of concentration.  Do
any of these things sound familiar to anyone out there?  Oh and I also
forgot to mention that I've always had a very difficult time gaining
weight, a problem I share with my mother who also has gastrointestinal
problems (not as bad as mine have been lately), straightening of the upper
part the spine, etc.  Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Mark