From:
Sandy Kohler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sandy Kohler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:55:56 -0500

Here is the summary of responses of Vertigo.  Mine seemed to come and go for
a week or two and I do believe stress, exhaustion and sleep patterns make a
difference as well as flu/viral bugs. Hopefully it is nothing more serious
but was told by my physician I need an MRI if it persists. I would be
interested if anyone has any other comments or has experience episodes of
vertigo while lying down. Thanks.
*******************

My main complaint or presenting symptom is vertigo.  It is called positional
vertigo if it occurs when you lie down or turn over in bed.  My neurologist
has diagnosed it as migraine associated vertigo.  It is also one of the
symptoms of celiac but after being on the celiac diet for over a year I have
noticed no improvement.
********
I have had this dizziness called Vertigo.  It is unrelated to celiac
disease.
I went to see my doctor and she found that I had an inner ear infection.  My
ear didn't hurt, however, it was infected.  This problem was causing the
vertigo.  She order me an antibiotic and the infection and vertigo went
away.
********
As far as Vertigo and dizziness, I can say that I have had it standing up
and laying down. I have only had my diagnosis since October but before that
I would get so dizzy at times it would make me feel like vomiting. I have
not had any dizziness since I have been gluten free. Once I did get some
gluten (I think from licking envelopes) and I did get dizzy for a bit but
not as bad as in the past.
**************

The vertigo is probably caused by inner ear problem.  There is a product
called Antivert that is very helpful.  It used to be by prescription only
but I believe it is now deregulated and over the counter.  My Dr. said to be
very careful about not rising to quickly or making any unnecessary motion
with my head.  It is unrelated to Celiac.  Many people have it in a
transitory way.  RC
************
Please do a summary on the vertigo subject. I have a very dear friend that
has vertigo. She has two daughters, one with Celiac Disease and the other
with Multiple Sclerosis. The friend is also msg sensitive and has vertigo. I
would like to share any comments with her.
***********
I experience a week or two of vertigo every year , right when Autumn comes
around.  It is transient, thankfully, but I am told it could be a virus or
an allergy.
******************
When I was first diagnosed with celiac (by blood test, not endoscopy) in
Feb. 2003, there were a number of days when I had vertigo when lying in bed.
I also was running a fever on and off, and it was confusing about whether it
was from a virus or celiac.  Then this past October, I experienced it again
when my husband and I were on vacation for a few days- my system felt out of
wack and I had some diarrhea.  For the past 5 days I have had a bad cold and
swollen glands, and for two days I had vertigo again. I also get dizzy when
I get novocaine at the dentist- even when they don't use epinephrine.
I don't know how it's all related.  I am 56 and before this, had never
experienced vertigo.
***************
I'm new to the list, but have followed a GF diet for my son for almost 2
years, and recently began DF for him also.
 May have a suggestion.  I've never heard of it being food related - most
likely it is inner ear problem, esp. if lying down.  Last year I had
labyrinthinitis - inflammation of the labyrinthines of the inner ear.
Caused vertigo in all positions and had to lie down at times b/c could not
stay upright and caused nystagmus.  There are other things in the inner ear
that can be inflammed/infected/or otherwise out of whack that can cause
vertigo.  Most likely if it was caused by circulatory problems, the vertigo
would be while upright or while just coming to upright position.  Check it
out w/ a dr if you think it necessary - also decongestants could help if it
is inner ear problem.  Just some ideas....hope they help.  Best wishes.