From:
Kirsten Klinghammer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Oct 1996 23:29:17 -0700

"charlie white on Tue Sep 24 12:29:00 1996 wrote "

> Was reading that post about the lady who was given cream of wheat instad of
> cream of rice, she was a hospital patient.
>
> What does everyone think about us celiacs wearing one of those allergy
> bracelets or necklaces?  You know like penicillin allergies etc.

    Speaking from personal experience, the only way to be sure that you
won't get poisoned by a hospital is to either be *completely* sober (by
that I mean not "out of it") or to have a family member by your side
while you're in the hospital.  If you're extremely lucky, having an
excellent doctor _who is there while you're in the hospital_ can also
keep you safe.

    I'm afraid I can't even count the number of times friends of mine
and I have been given or have had attempts made to give us medications
and/or foods we're allergic to even when these things are on our charts.
I've had one friend of a friend who died, and another friend who had
seizures so bad that she broke several teeth.  Do not count on having a
Medic-Alert bracelet or necklace (I have one) or having information on
your chart to be sufficient.  If you do have life-threatening reactions,
be *hyper-vigilant*.

    To illustrate the need for hyper-vigilance, I once had to take my
husband into the emergency room.  The doctor kept wanting to give him
codeine, which he kept refusing since he's somewhat allergic to it.
After some time I went to call my husband's work to let them know he
wouldn't be in, and when I came back he was feeling even worse than when
I left.  It turns out the doctor had given him the codeine when I wasn't
around to back up Dennis's objections.  Thank God he wasn't deathly
allergic to it.

    In addition to giving medication or food that is out and out not
okay, I've also had arguments with doctors or nurses about what things
are.  For example, I had on my chart that I am allergic to
acetaminophen, and the nurse tried to give me Tylenol (one brand name of
acetaminophen).  She argued with me that it wasn't listed on my chart as
being a problem.  I believe I stopped short of telling her she should
have flunked nursing school and instead told her to double-check with
a doctor or pharmacist if she didn't believe me.

     To be frank, I personally will not not check into a hospital unless
I am severely injured.  Anything else, thank you, if I can't get
treated on out-patient basis, I'd rather die less miserably at home.
However, cynicism (realism?!) aside, I wish the best of luck to everyone.
Be careful, and may you have only good hospital experiences!

                         Sincerely,

                         Kirsten Klinghammer