From:
Cyndi Symons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 08:45:13 EST

Hi all, Just wanted to send in a summarization of motion sickness remedies
that I received. I want to thank everyone that replied! I need to know a few
things still........are "Bonine" tablets GF (I don't know what the Clan
Thompson Guide is)? And why the bands work on some people but not others? I
also need to know where I can get the crystalized ginger slices/pieces?
My plan of action is:
I think I will have the medications available to me but I think I will try
the natural means first before medication that someone so nicely wrote about.
Thanks to ALL I will be prepared!!

I will summarize with the answers to my questions and if anyone else has
ideas I'll put those in too. Thanks!

Cyndi

Here are the replies I received:

Have you ever used "Sea Bands"?  They are elastic bands that fit around
your wrist with a little piece of plastic that presses into the nerve on the
inside of the wrist. My husband gets very sick do to motion and these worked
great on our cruise.  They are inexpensive and can be purchased at a drug
store. Since using these, he has never had to take oral medication.
Lavonne Schmidt

********************

Motion sickness - Bonine tablets are listed in the Clan Thompson Guide I just
got.

Manufactured by Pfizer.  They are over the counter, no prescription needed.
You should be able to get them in any drugstore, supermarket or WalMart, etc.

******************

I did go armed to the teeth with remedies, and they helped
quite a bit.  The trick is to take the remedies BEFORE you
feel queezy.  Prevention is easier than cure!

Aside from medications, try some preventative measures:

Don't eat a heavy/oily/spicy meal before, or during your trip
(You can eat as you wish, once your equalibrium gets used to the
motion of the boat.  It may take a day or two.)

Avoid alcohol.  Once again, wait until your body is used to
the rolling motions of the boat.

Relaxation: If you feel yucky, take a walk on the deck, in the
fresh air.  This also allows you to focus on the horizon, which
can help settle your inner-ear and balance.

Things you can take: (I don't take dramamine.  These are things
that work for me, that are GF, too)

Crystalized ginger slices/pieces.  Helps settle the stomach, relieve
nausea.

Charcoal tablets.  Take 4 about 1 hour before you step on the boat.
Don't combine with other vitamins, or medications.  Take those
separately.

Peppermint tea or oil.  Sipping tea can settle the stomach.

A drop or two of oil on your tongue is good, or unsweetened
(no artificial sweetners, either) lozenges.

Vitamin B6.  Take 100 mg. 2 hours before the trip.  Take 100 mg
more an hour later.

If you decide to go with conventional medications, still try to
avoid the heavy meal, alcohol, and get fresh, cool air.  Those
motion sickness bands worn on the wrists don't work.  Don't
ruin your vacation thinking you can get away with using just those,
and still get sick.

*******************

I got wrist bands for my daughter, she is not CD, she is 14 years old
and I didn't want to give her travel sickness medication, the wrist
bands have a pressure thing on them and work like acupressure, as long
as she puts them on in the correct place they work really well, even if
it is psychological it doesn't matter, the result is good and there are
no side effects from pills.

The bands are available in Chemists/Pharmacies.

******************

I purchased "Bonine" for my daughter's roommate's honeymoon cruise.  It is
non-prescription.  She took it every day they were on board ship and said
she had no problems.  She has motion sickness to the point that she got sick
trying to watch the movie "Waterworld".  (I think other people without
motion sickness had problems watching that movie, but that's another
matter.)

I do not remember the labeled contents and don't know if it's gf, as that
wasn't a concern for the bride.

*******************

Dramamine is in the grocery store.  The ship will probably have it in
there store just in case also.  As for the ginger, just take about a
Tablespoon of fresh, chopped up, and add hot water, maybe some lemon and
drink as a tea, or just chew on a small slice of it.  I don't know about
risking any of the candies, unless you know of one that is GF.
Bon voyage,
Jeanne

Ginger is more effective than dramamine if you would like to try a
natural motion sickness inhibitor.

I've found that eating a big chunk of pickled ginger before a long trip
helps a great deal.

I make the pickled ginger myself... I can look up the recipe when I get
home and send it to you if you wish.