From:
Viola Chapkey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Viola Chapkey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 14:37:34 -0800

Thank you all who responded to my question in regard to the kids-friendly probiotics and laxatives. The opinion of the respondents was not to use laxatives. Please see the responses below:

Natren Pro-biotic is what my daughter takes. They have done wonders for
her.
There are only 2 types from this company that a Celiac can take. You
can go
to their website at www.natren.com and email them. My daughter takes
the
dairy free Bifido factor. They will be glad to help you. Also,
Bioactive
Nutrients has a vitamin plus pro-biotic combo that I will be checking
into.
My friend says her child's bottle says gluten free. I'm still going to
check. www.bioactivenutrients.com God Bless!

don't give a child a laxative!!!  way too strong.  have him drink lots
of water,
eat prunes and nuts.  if he is really constipated, give an enema, but
never a
laxative!!!!

you might also look into what foods make him constipated and what makes
him go.
ever since I was a baby, apple skins would give me diarrhea, esp
Macintoshs.
Chocolate has always bound me.  Try apples with thick skins and give it
a day or
two to work.  But very impt...lots of water!!!

I make kefir (a kind of drinkable yogurt) ... do a
web search on "Kefir Dom" for a good
site about it. It is far more potent (and reliable) than the pills,
and you make it yourself for next to nothing. Probiotics for
our family would run $100 a month!

The kids get it in smoothies. I make a version called Kefiili which is
thicker
and sweeter than usual. You can buy a Kefir at the store
to try it out, and if it works, get some grains and make
your own.

Check with Renew Life.  I use their adult probiotic called Flora More that is GF.  I have seen some children's probiotics made by the company, but have never checked their GF status.

My wise old homeopathic md used to tell me that you should drink only one glass of juice per day...the rest of what you should consume is WATER,   Try goat's milk for him...safe, and is closest to mother's milk.  Also, nuts work really well to move things along, besides being very good for you.  The best is almonds, followed by walnuts.  Brasil nuts are very high in good fat and also help.  Dried fruits and fresh fruits [roughage] are good choices.
But again, don't ever use laxatives.  They tear the gut apart.  In a worse case scenario, use an enema, but never a laxative.  You know, not every person has a bm every day.  Keep track of how often your child goes normally.

Thanks to all and Happy New Year!

Viola.