From:
Michelle Azimov <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michelle Azimov <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Oct 2006 14:46:58 -0800

Here is a response from the Marzetti company.  I have forwarded it to the staff at the Celiac Disease Foundation so that as a community, we can be proactive about addressing this type of misinformation with the goal of making more companies celiac-friendly.

  Michelle Azimov
  Ventura, CA

  October 30, 2006

  Thank you for inquiring about our T. Marzetti Caramel Apple Dip products. We appreciate customers who take the time to tell us their thoughts and concerns. It is the policy of T. Marzetti Company to include all ingredients used in a product on our ingredient declaration per FDA regulations. If gluten or a gluten-containing ingredient is used in a formula, it is our practice to declare this on our ingredient listing. However, we cannot certify our products as gluten free for use by celiac spruce patients, and therefore make no claims to that effect.
  It is our understanding celiac sprue patients are sensitive not only to gluten but any gluten-containing source material. Some of our products contain distilled vinegar which may be fermented from a gluten containing grain. Many doctors still feel it is unacceptable to celiac sprue patients. All of Marzetti’s suppliers of distilled vinegar produce vinegar by the acetous fermentation of distilled alcohol. In compliance with the FDA regulations the distilled vinegars can be derived from a variety of grain alcohols (corn, wheat, rye, oat, barley) or from synthetic alcohol (petroleum derived). The main source of ethyl alcohol is corn and petroleum. However our suppliers do use alcohols from other grains from time to time due to price and availability.
  As for modified food starch, a common concern, we generally use waxy maize starches or cornstarch. On rare occasions we may use a potato, rice, or tapioca starch. We also get ingredients from suppliers that do not guarantee their processes to be gluten free. Again, if gluten or a gluten- containing ingredient is used in a formula, it is our practice to declare this on our ingredient listing.
                  Enclosed you will find our list of gluten safe products created by the Research & Development staff. They feel that the items listed are safe for consumption. We hope this information is useful to you and allows you to make the appropriate choice for your needs.

  Sincerely,
  Consumer Services Department
  T. Marzetti Company

    Gluten Free Diet
  The following items do not contain gluten from wheat, barley, rye or oats.
  Salad dressings containing distilled vinegar have not been included on this list*.
  Teresa’s Dressings (8 fl oz)
  20079 White Balsamic vinaigrette with Raspberries
  20134 Red Wine Vinaigrette
  20102 Balsamic Vinaigrette
  20084 Asian Slaw Dressing
  20083 Sweet Vinaigrette
  Girard’s Dressings (12 fl oz)
  58019 Balsamic & Basil Vinaigrette
  58015 French Dressing
  58402 Fat Free Raspberry Dressing
  58401 Fat Free Red Wine Vinaigrette
  58400 Fat Free Balsamic Vinaigrette
  58135 Raspberry Dressing
  58095 Poppyseed Dressing
  58091 Blue Cheese Vinaigrette
  Caramel Dips
  52029 6/2 oz Caramel Dip
  55600 16 oz Caramel Dip
  99948 4 oz Caramel Dip
  55602 16.5 oz Light Caramel Dip
  Produce Dressings (15 fl oz)
  50031 Poppyseed Dressing
  50020 Original Slaw Dressing
  Cardini Dressings
  01094 12 fl oz Italian with Blue Cheese Crumble Dressing
  Slaw Dressings
  11000 8 fl oz Slaw Dressing
  11003 16 fl oz Slaw Dressing
  Caviar
  23000 2 oz Black Lumpfish
  23002 3.5 oz Black Lumpfish
  23015 2 oz Red Lumpfish
  23016 3.5 oz Red Lumpfish
  23019 2 oz Golden Lumpfish
  23023 2 oz Golden Whitefish
  23035 2 oz Black Whitefish
  23036 4 oz Black Whitefish
  23050 2 oz natural Salmon
  23054 2 oz Red Slamon
  * All of Marzetti’s suppliers of distilled vinegar produce vinegar by the acetous fermentation of distilled alcohol. In compliance with the FDA regulations the distilled vinegar can be derived from a variety of grain alcohols (corn, wheat, oat, barley, rye) or from synthetic alcohol (petroleum derived).
  In response to your inquiry we contacted our suppliers of distilled vinegar. The main sources of ethyl alcohol are corn and petroleum. However our suppliers due use alcohols from other grains from time to time due to price and availability.