From:
Maggie Jewett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:59:50 -0400

Here are the various comments that I received in response to my post.  Sorry
for the delay!

Maggie

"I get canker sores all over my tongue.if I have the slightest bit of citric
acid.  Before going GF I got canker sores inside mouth on cheek and lip
areas.  Not long after going GF I did not get them in those areas.  Couple
years later started getting them on my tongue and finally figured out what
caused them.   That really cuts out a lot of food you can eat if you can't
have citric acid because it is in foods and drinks..........also,
medications, etc."

"I have been sick for 10 years, only diagnosed with celiac a couple weeks
ago.
 I have not tolerated orange juice or other citrus since around 1993.  I
develop severe heartburn, gas, nausea, diarrhea. "

"It has been so long that I had symptoms that I forgot what they were.
What I avoid are OJ, grapefruit juice, lemon, lime, orange, tomato juice."

"Tomato sauce, oranges, pineapple, lemon juice.  All of these things hurt my
stomach and send me to the bathroom in a hurry.  Oh, vinager, too. "

"My 21 yr.old celiac son can no longer eat any citrus fruits.  He gets a
reaction of diarrhea if he does.  He can drink oj that is pulp free.  We
don't know the reason, but as long as he avoids citrus he is ok. Hope this
helps."

"Years before being dx with celiac I had terrific reactions to orange
juice and aspirin. Within 20 minutes of ingesting these products, I had
such an unbearable  headache I threw up. I have been dx with celiac 17
years and have not had either oj or an aspirin since and I stay away
from lemon..  I am afraid to try them.  I could not even have
"Sprite"pop without having  the same reaction. "

"I can't tolerate acids--particulary orange juice or other citrus. I've
always been that way to some degree (and always had celiac), but lately
things have become intensified. I can't have coffee, soft drinks, fruits,
tomatoes, red bell peppers, etc. It causes a rash on my skin. I know some
people talked about stomach problems--not everything gives me stomach
trouble--mostly just coffee now, so I've completely cut it out. "

"I don't avoid acidic foods entirely, as small amounts don't seem to bother
me. But if I have more than a small glass of OJ or other citrus juice (or
fruit), or more than 1 big strawberry, or eat a whole tomato, I get 1- 3
little blisters in my mouth. They feel awfully sore for how tiny they are;
they're usually on my tongue, but sometimes on the insides of my cheeks or
lips. I also get cracks in the corners of my mouth if I have seriously OD'ed
on acidic foods, or eaten them several days in a row (those strawberries are
such a temptation)."

"My daughter reacts differently, with painful burning urination. She avoids
citrus altogether, especially oranges/tangerines, even in small amounts as
flavoring."