From:
Hania Powch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 1997 15:14:28 -0500

Any Celiac researchers/ Clinicians on the list, I'd be grateful for your
thoughts.

I have been on a GF diet for four years and still have  positive and raised
anti-endomysial antibodies.  My anti-gliaden IgA and IgG antibodies are
negative.  My Gastroenterologist here still believes that I may be injesting
gluten somehow.  I have so carefully reviewed all my foods and meds and
supplements many times over.  This past summer I have completely switched to
the Freeda brand vitamins that have been mentioned on this list many times.

They have assured me three times that all the vitamins and minerals they
manufacture are gluten free and that there is no chance of cross
contamination.  I  cannot tell  you how meticulous I am about the diet. I
receive about 5 celiac-related publications regularly so I can stay on top of
things. I also receive Public Health Journals.

The villi in my small intestine are still flattened - showing damage.  I
believe I suffer from allergies- environmental and food related.  These have
not been addressed until now.  My internist is finally referring me for
allergy evaluation.  What triggered this was that my dentist noticed a
reaction to my gums around the area of a crown she had removed last week.
She said this reaction was consistent with an allergy to nickel.  Also, my
tongue continues to be sore and "chewed off-looking" around the edges
according to her.  Her technician suggested that I have all my silver
fillings removed since I'm so sensitive .

I still eat milk products, GF cheese and GF yogurt.  I do not drink milk.  My
basic carbohydrate is rice ( breads, dinner rice).  I do not buy enriched
rice.

My question is this:  Could I be reacting to casein and rice much the same
way that I do to gluten?  Could this be a case of refractory sprue?  My
doctor doesn't think I'm sick enough to have this.( He wants me off all
vitamins for one month).  I was tested for collagenous sprue by colonoscopy.
Results- negative.

I forgot to mention that I have seen tremendous improvement on the GF diet.
My hemoglobin was at 8 four years ago.  Within a couple of months on the GF
diet it was resolved.  My weight is at a stable 125 lbs for a height of 5'
7".  I am not able to gain any more weight.  I have 2 to 3 very soft stools a
day.It seems that my health has reached a plateau.

I'd be grateful for any response.

Hania Powch